Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"You idiot!" I shout. "Look what you've done!" I pound hard into my wooden desk. The fury melts through me while my fist leaves a deepened hole on the polished wood. Peering at Ash, I glower deeply at him. What has he done?

Ash sneers back at me. "It's not like you're doing anything about the situation."

I ignore him. "Tell me why the hell she is running all over the grounds? Hm?" I take a few steps closer to him, my fists clenched to my side.

For a long moment the room is filled with silence. Ash stands about a foot away with arms crossed his chest, looking bored as ever. Humming birds perch themselves onto the outside balcony, singing a sweet tune.

"You're wife, Damian. What are you to do when she gets here?" Ash shakes his head. "Only a few days away..."My fury gets the better of me. Taking that last step towards Ash, I quickly clutch his neck. Tightening my grip, I slowly raise him off the ground. "You'll never have her, Damian." Ash breathes, barely struggling in my grasp. He takes hold of my wrist, ripping my cold fingers away. Inhaling coolly, Ash continues, "Only the dogs will have her. That's where she

belongs. With the dogs." His voice couldn't be viler, sadistically well tempered.

The raging passion of fury escalades through my dead heart. I want to kill him. I want to kill him now. But, before I make any rash decisions, I peer out the opened window. I see the kingdom itself.

The beautiful gardens are being well attended, high blue skies, and the afternoon sun. It's so alive, giving around it life.

And Catalina's running frantically across the gardens.

I know her heart is slowly failing. It's gradually falling back into tune with death itself. There are already dramatic changes. Every scar has been erased and replaced with a perfectly chiseled frame. Her hair shines more brilliant white as it shows the glow of her silver eyes. So young, but yet so beautiful.

Soon she'll be one of us: a creature of the day and night; a barbaric predator that craves for the satisfying taste of sweet blood.

One day, she'll be a full vampire...

I inhale a slow breath; something that's always been a habit. "You once loved her, Ashton. Now look at you: putting fear into her heart." Turning slowly back around, I meet Ashton's gaze. Still torn apart with the same fury I know he grieves for.

"But I know what the consequences are. Are you willing to go through them for a third time now?" He pauses. "Shouldn't a King know when enough is enough?"

I turn away. "Yes, you do have every right to judge me." Snapping my eyes, I avert my gaze into Ashton's. "It's been over a hundred years of searching. We

finally found her. What has changed you so much?" My voice begins to reveal a small bit of pity.

When someone dies people grieve, suffer, and then eventually slowly move on. Knowing that they're loved ones is gone. Truly gone and never to reenter their lives again. Their memory with always live on, but sometimes, their memory slips away into old boxes and picture frames; gradually fading away.

It's here and now that I finally see it.

It's the way that Ashton peers back at me that stops me completely.

His tone is combined with a heartless tune and sadistic rhythm, "Nothing."

But we both know that isn't true...

******

I breathe hard as I stop at the gate, gazing back up that castle itself. Something that I missed last night. Built out of creamy, tan brick, with three to four towers placed on each side, luxurious sized windows spotted everywhere in various locations. Examining every inch of the place, I catch the grand doorways. Etched with an ornate design that I've never seen before, it stands about fifteen feet tall! The gardens look exactly how they did last night. But with the sun brightening down, it gives more life to the plantation. Around the castle is more cut grass with decorated with more beautiful gardens. It then eventually outstretches far into a thick forest and grasslands going out for miles.