When Revenge Backfires...

I stopped dancing and looked him in the eyes. “Go on, ask her to dance. You know you want to.” He looked at me. 

“Do you think I should?” He glanced nervously over at her. I nodded, profusely. “Will you be alright, Ginny? That’s me dancing with Cho, Padma and Hermione. Are you ok with that?” 

“Sure.  I promised Neville a couple of dances so I’ll just go and find him.” I shrugged off the question. 

“Ok,” he said and I walked over to where Neville was sitting. 

“Ready for that dance now Neville?” I beamed at him. He smiled back at me, happy not to be lonered any more. We walked onto the dance floor, took our positions and waited for the music to start up again. It was a slower dance, but everyone was just going at the same fast speed they had done before, which was FAST. 

“Are you sure you don’t mind dancing with me?” Neville asked as we waltzed into the throng of dancers. 

“Not at all, Neville!” I said, honestly. He was my friend. “Besides, Harry has been rather busy tonight. Three girls have asked him to dance.” 

“Blimey,” he sighed, obviously slightly envious but then his face lit up “Does that mean I get three dances, then?” he asked cheekily. 

I grinned “It sure does.” We continued dancing and chatting until Harry had danced with Cho, Hermione and Padma. I thought he was done until I noticed Luna Lovegood asking for a dance. Then Neville got sore feet and went to the bathroom to make a soothing potion so I went and sat down next to Padma and Ron, they were kissing as usual. So I just tapped my foot in time to the music and hummed to myself. 

***

“Hi there!” Hermione bounced up to me, plonking herself down in the empty seat next to me. Startled, I jumped. 

“Oh, hi Hermione!” I replied, my heart racing. She laughed. “So” I continued “Are you still going to use your potion?” She turned her head sideways, analysing me. 

“Sure, I am,” she started “Are you?” she raised her eyebrows. I was shocked. Me? Hadn’t I made it clear I didn’t want to do that? 

“Umm…No,” I assured her. But then I saw Harry hugging Luna goodbye and now turning to Parvati. It was really annoying me. He was the one who blimmin’ asked me here! I could have gone with someone who actually likes me, not just using me because he couldn’t get a date. “Actually, I think I will use it…He’s about to learn how it feels to be ignored!” This was my revenge on him and I was going to get what I wanted. 

Hermione’s face lit up. “I brought this just in case.” She smiled passing me one of the two bottles I saw earlier. “Cedric’s just gone to us some Butter Bears. I’m going to pop it in his glass. It should take about an hour to work, I should think.”

True enough, a moment later Cedric appeared, holding two glasses. Hermione asked him to go and fetch her a straw because as her parents were dentists, they wanted her to take care of her teeth. He obliged and went to find one. Then Hermione uncorked the bottle and poured the clear liquid into his drink. He came back with her straw and she held his glass out to him. “Cheers.” She smiled, chinking their glasses together. They quickly drained them and returned to the dance floor, Hermione winked at me.

Inspired by how easy she had made it look, I decided to go straight in and use it. I checked the dance floor to the check that Harry was still busy dancing with someone – it was Lavender Brown, now.

“Ron, RON!” I shouted, glaring at him. 

“What?” He shouted back, obviously disgruntled fact that I had interrupted his make out session.