Chapter six

"I don't understand"

"Yes you do you just refuse to believe it." Pheona, rolled her eyes.

" That's because its not possible to feel pain in dreams and it certainly doesn't make sense if  you same the one too unless-"

"Unless?" Said Pheona prompting her.

"You did this to me didn't you, you burnt me whilst I was sleeping . You somehow did it so that I wouldn't wake up you-you drugged my tea didn't you! That's why I fell asleep so fast in the first place!  I want you to leave. "

Pheona laughed, "If I was twisted enough to want to kill a dying child I would not have bothered to waste my time telling you any stories at all."

"Your only saying that to delude me to confuse me so that I could be cajoled into doing whatever you wanted me to do . I bet that the scar is some mark of imitation into some weird cult."

"You don't believe that, if you did you would be screaming for the rest of your short life and scratching my eyes out."

Violet, wasn't quite sure what to say in rebuke. Then seemed to give up.

"Then tell me. As you said I don't have much time left."

"What you were experiencing wasn't a dream it was a memory. My memory. In my world we call them Somniati. The people who have the ability to share Somniati can share memories, dreams and ideas like you share videos or photographs. They are useful if you want someone to experience something that you have because you do not have enough words to describe them or fear that they do not believe you. Unlike dreams they are re-enacting an experience that the other person ahs felt this includes pain, emotions, senses and actions "

Violet, paused thinking it over the idea was so incorrigible and ridiculous yet it somehow made sense. How she had felt the spray of the ocean and let the salt fill her nostrils in ways that no normal dream could. However, if she admitted that she believed in the Somniati then it would be admitting that she believed that there was a whole new world out undiscovered and hidden. That all the time humans had been on earth they had not been alone in the universe. That there were creatures strange and beautiful as the ones she had seen in her dream (or Somniati) roaming around. If this was trues then she would have to let everyone know this could be HUGE. If it was true.

"So. You supposedly gave me this dream thing this memory or-"

"-Somninati" Said Violet interrupting her again.

"Right, to convince me that this story your telling me is true. As it was your memory I had no control of what I was doing in the Somniati and that I presumably was in your body because I have the same scar as you. If this is true and some of your people from your planet posses this ability to share dreams Somniati as you are so instant on calling it. Which is obviously not true as its a scientific impossibility. Then you somehow do it by touching my hand or making contact with me so that the dream would pass from my body to yours. Which makes sense as you fell asleep next to me. "

Pheona, nodded. " You are brighter than you realise you are. However, not everything can be explained by microscopes and experiments. If you do not remember science is the study of the unknown and where groups of people try to understand what they cannot with these theories and evidence to back them up. Can you not love the unknown for what is?"

Violet frowned and faint worry lines creased on her brow. She pinched forehead with her fingers as if she was trying to figure out the answers to a very complicated calculation.

Pheona, continued. " But I'm not here to tell you about science. Your right, I did use the Sonniati on you when you were asleep, which is why you came to your completely illogical story about poisoning and voo-doo. Believe me if it was that simple I would have done that all ready.  Anyway, you will never believe me unless I show you again."

"Show me again? I was scarred last time who knows what could happen now? What if you accidently give me a nightmare about being a zombie or something! No, way this way too dangerous."

"Or what could happen you could die?" Pheona, said mockingly.

"How dare you--you hag!"

Pheona, grabbed her and with a grip of steel she dragged her whilst Violet was quiet literally kicking and screaming to the window. She did not even need to fight Violet, as  Violet's muscles were weak and lax from the disease. Although Pheona was an old woman she was no hag as Violet had put it for she towered above most men let alone woman and her body was made up of hard, taut muscles from many years of training. 

The upper half of Violets own limp torso was dangled out the window so far that she could smell the bitter-sweet smell of the petals of the blossom tree and her heart pounded as blood rushed in waves from her feet to the very tips of her ears.

Pheona. a her large calloused hands on Violet's face and another on her Violet's stomach to pin Violet's body down as she slammed the back of her head onto the wall. Violet's screams were stuck at the back of her throat and even if they weren't she daren't have in fear in fear of being sprawled out like a dead spider of the courtyard floor.

"You think that I want  to be here telling stories to a wisp of a pathetic girl when I could be looking after my own people protecting them from demons and usurpers. My own family is under threat my children my home. I had to come more than light years away to find you of all people. I have fought for everyone else's cause my whole life and now I find out that you have been selected to fill my space. I am yet in search for more guardians but if the Gods are leaving me children like you to fulfil my legacy then I fear for my people.

BECAUSE YOU ARE THE MOST DECIETFUL DISGUSTING LITTLE CREATURE I HAVE EVER SEEN.  Not once have I  even heard you say thank you to the Nuns for their hospitality or even seen you thank your parents for giving you such a wonderful life. No you just whimper and look at the wall all day whilst others run around you."

She hauled Violet back into the room and threw her fragile body down onto the stone floor.

Violet had never felt so broken in her life.

Pheona kneelt down and held her hand not in an endearing way but in a strong grasp. Old words floated from her tongue and the room seemed to dim for Violet was under the Somniati's wrath.