Chapter 16

✴ Never Would Have Guessed ✴ 

Eleanor stands at her station tapping away at her screen, preparing anything and everything for departure.

Jim enters the bridge, wearing his Captains uniform.

"Engineering thrusters and impulse engines at your command, sir." Sulu says turning to look at Jim.

"Weapons systems and chutes on standby." Chekov says.

"Dock control reports ready, Captain." Uhura says turning in her chair to look at Jim.

Jim looks around the bridge, taking it all in. He locks eyes with Eleanor and they share a smile, he then looks to Bones, "Bones." he walks over to him, "buckle up." with a smirk he pats him on the shoulder; Bones just shakes his head, this makes Eleanor giggle, making her think back to the first time they met, when Bones went on a tangent of his fear of space.

Taking his seat in the Captain's chair, he opens a comm to engineering "Scotty, how we doin'?".

"Dilithium chambers at maximum, Captain." Scotty responds.

'Scotty was a good choice for chef engineer.' Eleanor thought to herself.

"Mister Sulu, prepare to engage thrusters." Jim says, when the door to the bridge opens, revealing Spock.

"Permission to come aboard, Captain." Spock asks, hands behind his back.

Smiling Jim replies "Permission granted." standing up to face Spock.

Spock makes his way to him, "As you have yet to select a first officer, respectfully, I would like to submit my candidacy.", now standing in front of Jim, he finishes "Should you desire, I can provide character references.".

"It would be my honor, Commander." Jim replies, Spock nods and then makes his way to his station; passing Uhura on his way, they share a smile. Uhura turns to look at Eleanor giving her an even bigger smile.

'Aw, our boyfriends are getting along.', the thought of her now calling Jim her boyfriend causes her to blush, facing the screens in front of her to hide it.

"Maneuvering thrusters, Mister Sulu." Jim says, sitting back down.

"Thrusters on standby."

Looking to Ellie, Jim smiles and replies "Take us out.".

"Aye aye, Captain."

'I told you, you would be a great captain, James.' Eleanor thought, smiling at him.

'Though, I never would have guessed it would have happened like this.'

END