Chapter One: Contemplation

You’d think that taking the fall for your best friend would be worth it, right?

If anyone told me that now I’d laugh in their face.

Before I get started you might want to grab a coffee – or even that jar of Nutella, whatever floats your boat – and find a comfy beanbag or place to sit.

See, I was that sorry sap who decided to take the blame for my best friend’s screw up. I didn’t mind. But then it happened. And even if I did ‘fess up it wouldn’t have changed a thing.

Well, maybe one thing.

I’d have gotten him kicked out of university along with me.

And my mama taught me better than that.

So here I am.

 The sun drifted behind a cloud, easing the strong glare. A light breeze whistled through the trees and lifted some strands off of my forehead. It fluttered back into place once the wind died down and I pushed the door to the best pizza joint this side of the Greenwich Meridian open, a wave of heat crashing over me. The bell tinkled before the door swung shut behind me. I grabbed a seat close to the window since the clay ovens made the restaurant really hot and you tended to reek of pizza when you walked out.  The appetizing scents had my stomach growling for my favourite pizza, Dante’s Inferno, which also happens to be the name of the eatery.  

Oh, forgive me. You must be thinking why I’m getting pizza from a section in the Bible. Truth is, no one really knows who Dante is, but what we do know is that he makes the best pizza in EVER. And no, he’s not the Bible guy.

So, anyway. I was busily arranging my suitcases so that no one would trip over them (despite the hilarity in that) and I didn’t even notice the waitress as she came up to take my order.

“Hi, what can I get you?”

I looked up and noticed the petite girl in black cut-off pants and a white shirt. Her golden brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail and she smiled at me, revealing perfectly straight teeth. Her pen poised over her notepad, ready to take my order.

My lips curved upward into a smile. She glanced over her shoulder and took a seat opposite me as soon as she was sure the coast was clear. Her shoulders dropped into a slouch and she patted my cheek. “Hey, Ric,” I grinned.

Her smile widened. “I miss seeing your smile, Thay.”

I let out a nervous chuckle and ran a hand through my hair. “Come on, Ric. It hasn’t been that long.”

“I guess,” she laughed. You could say her laugh was like glass clinking together, a sharp yet smooth sound that you could listen to all day. “Something’s up. I can see it.”

“Huh?” I feigned confusion as to what she was talking about. “Everything’s fine as usual.”

Her brow creased as she studied my face and my posture. My trick was to not think about the tragedy that ruined my life. After a few moments she stopped studying me and sighed. “Thayer, hiding things from people who care about you never helps. Trust me, I know.”

I winced.  For a reason unknown, it was like she always knew more than she was letting on. “I know,” I nodded, hiding my face behind my hands.  “Hey, can I order?”

She flicked my nose and smiled. “Sure, kid. What can I get you?”

I was so tempted to say ‘Back into RBSA,’ but I caught myself and ordered Dante’s Inferno. I swear to Dante that if you ask me who he is, I’ll smack you so hard that your great-grandchildren’s children will feel it.