Chapter One- Study Buddy

Coach worked us hard that Thursday. By the time practise was over I was dripping with sweat and the high ponytail which i had pulled my hair into had gotten pretty messy. Smoothing down the tiny red cheer uniform that showed my tanned stomach and hardly covered my butt, I said goodbye to the girls and made my way over to the other side of the grass pitch where the guys were finishing football practise. 

They disbanded from their group huddle with the coach as I got closer and turned to walk in my direction, laughing and joking. I purposely swayed my hips a little more than necessary, knowing I was hardly covered in my uniform. Usually there would be more cheerleaders going out to meet their boyfriends but no one else felt comfortable enough in their exhausted, red-faced appearance. All eyes were on me. I pretended not to notice the fifty eyes on my face. I took my hair out of its tie, shaking it and letting it fall around my shoulders. I couldn't help it: I loved being a tease. I finally reached the large team of boys and smiled as I noticed they were all still watching me. I smiled slightly and bit my lip, lapping up the attention.

My guy friends were the only ones who stopped and formed a circle to include and talk to me but quite a few guys turned to check me out as they walked past extra slow. I particularly noticed one tall, dark guy who I'd seen in the back of my Bio. I'm sure we'd danced at a party once a while ago. I caught his eye and he smirked. It was all i could do not to physically turn my head and watch him walk away.

God. What am I thinking? I have a boyfriend forgoodness sakes.

The guys all said hi and asked me how the halftime dance was coming along for Friday's game. Brent put his Jersey round my shoulders, like always, pretending he wasn't enjoying showing me off, and telling me to cover up. We had only been going out for a month or so and I think he still wasn't quite sure how to take the looks I got from guys. But, as he had once said, there was nothing he could really do about it, so he just tended to look permenantly chuffed.

Jake smiled at me as I listened to Brent joke around about enjoying watching us "shake our stuff" at halftime. I had told Brent about the tutoring earlier in the week and he had pouted and said I would have to find a way to make it up to him. I tried to pretend I didn't get the innuendo but the suggestive look he gave me (and the way his hand around my shoulder was drawing circles on the exposed skin on my shoulder in the middle of the hallway) made it pretty hard to ignore.

Brent once again had his arm around my shoulders and I leaned into him, feeling comfortable, if a little disgusted by the sweat and mud that covered him. 

"Ready?" Jake said. I nodded and returned Brent's jacket, waving my goodbyes to the boys. Jake noticed me shivering against the breeze and offered me his jersey "since we're going back together". I had a feeling he wanted Brent to hear as he said it extra loudly even though we had started to walk away from the group. I wasn't sure why, but for some reason I had a violent urge to accept it. 

"Nah I'm good thanks" I saw Brent watching from the corner of my eye and visibly relax at my rejection of Jake's offer.

On the car journey to his house we talked and laughed about random things. I had never really talked to Jake alone for very long, but we never seemed to be stuck for things to say. 

I was surprised at the scale of his house when we arrived. I had missed the various parties he held because of cheer camp and had never had another had a reason to visit. It was in the same part of town as mine, only two streets away, but much bigger, and altogether more wholesome seeming. The white panelling was whiter, the lawn was greener, the door red-er.

We walked into the entrance and the smell of cookies overwhelmed my senses. Cookies. COOKIES.  My (still completely exposed) stomach moaned.