.:3:.

I clumsily followed along as the four boys in front of me loudly entered the garage, shoving each other along the way and pushing over a couple of mic stands. My eyes were wide and my arms were folded across my chest in an attempt to look as unnoticable as possible, which was not exactly realistic but it was my instinct to do so. They all spread out around the area, grabbing noise-cancelling headphones, plugging in their instruments, starting to warm up. The boys had clearly done this hundreds of times before, yet I felt so lost.

Gabe started playing a beat on his drum kit and I instantly reached for the headphones too, not feeling like having my ear drums explode from how loud it was. He started off with something simple until the other guys were ready and I watched as Justin began to play an interesting bass line to go along with it. From their facial expressions, it seemed as though they were improvising on the spot, yet it sounded so good it might as well have been rehearsed for days.

I stood in awe, as I noticed Vic watching Justin's fingers, carefully assessing the notes he was playing on, before being able to join in himself with chords which perfectly matched what was already going on. My eyes were glued to him, gazing at how he passionately strummed his electric guitar and moved to the rhythm of the music. Jack had joined in too, playing a solo which was like the cherry on top of the cake.

This continued for a few minutes and a smile grew on my face more with every moment. Everything about this was amazing. I loved being in the presence of music and having such talented people around me gave me a boost of energy which I needed to release.

On the other hand though, I felt worried. All of these guys were brilliant at their instruments, so maybe my voice would not be good enough for it.

The rock tune finally came to an end with everyone perfectly finishing on the same note, and I figured that this was a warm up for them: just improvising something interesting on the spot.

The four boys smiled around at each other, clearly pleased with themselves and what they had created out of the improvisation. Energy hung like a cloud above everyone, radiating this pleasant feeling onto us. I took off my headphones when they did so, as they walked around to all the amps, silencing them.

I felt like I was on a high with how happy everyone around me seemed. The group then expectantly turned to me, leaving me taken aback, but I awkwardly forced out, "That was really good, you guys are great."

"That was just improv, wait 'til you hear our original stuff," grinned Justin confidently. I nodded, knowing that what he was saying was probably true; their original songs must be great.

"So, sing something," said Jack and my eyes widened. I had not really thought this far ahead. Clearly, I knew that I would have to sing at some point but, as soon as the matter was brought up, I felt self-conscious. Silently, my mind was cursing out the guidance counsellor.

"Like what?" I asked quietly. Why did I have to be so shy around people? It was not like I had a good reason to; it was just my subconscious telling me that everything I said sounded stupid and that they were judging my every move. It was clearly not true, and quite selfish as well, but I could not stop these thoughts.

"Anything one of us knows. We can play something quiet for you to sing over, so that you have a backing track of sorts, but we can still hear your voice. That way we can figure out what kind of stuff to play in the future, to fit how you can sing," explained Jack, seemingly the only serious one of them all. That was nice though; it was good to have a balance.

I could not help but stare at them blankly. Out of all the songs out there, I had to pick one to sing and prove myself. This was a test after all, but a lot less formal than what I expected.