Chapter 23

Had he met her before? He'd heard stories about the girl in the cage—the wildling child born to Lydia and Marco de Rais—but never bothered to meet her before today

Had he met her before? He'd heard stories about the girl in the cage—the wildling child born to Lydia and Marco de Rais—but never bothered to meet her before today. Ellis had been very clear that he would help her in any way he can; though, he saw how much Ellis struggled. How many nights had Ellis passed out drunk because he saw his grandfather when he looked at the girl, watching her struggle? How many nights had Bo insisted he take over, that he try to fix it, but Ellis persisted. Until he couldn't take it no more, and Bo was asked to step in.

Lydia and Marco came to Bo, practically begging him to fix her—to give her some semblance of a normal life. He should have told them he had no clue how to cure her, that his father had never given him a manual to re-wire a wildling. He gave them one option, that he try to invoke the bond between Alpha and Omega... that he try to make her submit to him, and not the wolf buried deep beneath her skin.

He stood in front of her, now, trying to figure out why they'd never met until now. She looked docile, peaceful, as she knelt in front of him—though, part of him figured she was only that way because Ellis had tied her wrists together behind her back, then tied the end of the short rope to the grill of Bo's truck. He tried to choke down the snort... how trashy was that?

"My name's Bo," he told her calmly, falling to his knees. Tentatively, he reached for her cheeks, but quickly pulled away as she flinched. "I'm going to make it better."

He'd never seen her before, but he'll never quite forget just how wild she looked. He wouldn't forget her wild hair, her wild gaze. Her mouth, plush but stern, fell into a thin line as she stared at him. That wild gaze hardened, first fixating on him, and then onto her parents, who watched her from afar. Bo watched as she quickly twisted, trying to break free from the hold—even though she'd made it very clear to Ellis and Bo that she'd do what they wanted. She ceased, letting go of a long-held breath.

"No," she breathed, her shoulders dropping as she stared at him. "You won't."

#

He woke up to Saoirse pressing down hard on the horn of his truck. He bolted upright, and for a few moments he forgot about where he was, and what he was doing. His seatbelt cut deeply into his neck as he straightened himself up, looking over at Saoirse as she moved back into the passenger seat. He settled back in the seat, grunting a crude remark to Saoirse as he rubbed at his eyes.

His thirty-minute nap must have turned into an hour, he realized, as he glanced at the digital clock on the dashboard of his car. He shook his head, pulling out of his haziness to start the car up.

"Get a license when we get back, will you?" He grumbled, pulling back onto the highway once he had an opening.

"I told you I knew how to drive."

"That's not the same thing as having a license." He yawned, leaning over the steering wheel to change the position. "We'll get you to the nearest DMV and get you a license, how about that?"