21: Atychiphobia

Jamie agreed to the deal the next day and the three of us set to work perfecting out plan. Before we could even act out the whole kidnapping we had to set up several things that the rest of the plan would rely on. The first was that I had to break up with Jakob, again. We spent ages deciding what our big breakup argument would be about.

I had suggested that the most believable argument would be related to gaming because it was known by my father and Steve that we had broken up over a game many times before. There was also our typical school argument though that had mostly been settled recently. My only other thought was that one of us could accuse the other of cheating on them, but we both know that argument would be unrealistic. If either of us cheated on the other then we wouldn’t argue, we’d get even.

Jakob, however, was convinced that this breakup argument had to be worse than any we’d had in the past and when he explained his plan I had to admit that I liked it a lot more than my own.

I’d organised to have dinner with my dad, Jakob and Steve. It was supposedly intended to give us all a chance to talk about things and clean the air but it was actually where the big breakup argument would take place. My dad was pleased that I wanted to make things better between us so he agreed and even cancelled some meetings just to make it.

The Chinese takeaway was ordered, the table was laid and two of the three men were sat at the table. We were waiting for either the Chinese takeaway or Jakob to get here first.

“So, have you got any plans for New Year’s Eve, Ebony?” asked Steve. I shrugged and an awkward silence ensued.

“How about a party?” my dad suggested.

It was as though he didn’t even know me anymore. His idea of a party involved champagne and gross food on silver platters being handed out by waiters as pretentious suck-ups try to schmooze my dad to get in his favour. He knew that I hated those kinds of parties, so why would he even consider suggesting one?

Right on cue the doorbell rang and I rushed to answer it, knowing that it was Jakob and not the Chinese takeaway. It was time to fake breakup with him.

“Hey Jakob,” I said rather loudly as I swung the door open but then I caught sight of his arm in a sling and I gasped. “What the hell happened?” My tone was full of concern. “No, don’t answer that. You’ve been in one of those fights again, haven’t you?” All signs of concern had vanished from my voice. I was growing angry.

“It’s nothing,” he replied as he stepped over the threshold into the house.

“Is it broken?”

“Just leave it, Ebony.”

He went to walk away through into the dining room but I grabbed hold of his shoulder (the one not attached to the pretend injured arm) and spun him back around to face me.

“No, I won’t leave it, Jakob! How do you think I feel when I have to see you hurt like this all the time? What about your mother and sister? You’re being painfully stupid over all this.”

He rolled his eyes and tried to carry on walking but I wouldn’t let him out of my grasp that easily.

“Let me take you to hospital to get that fixed up.” My voice had grown softer. He shook his head. “It might be broken. You need to get it seen to.”

“No, it’s bad enough that my mum made me wear this thing.” He gestured to the sling.

“She’s only trying to help you so stop being an idiot. Your mum cares about you. She hates sitting on the sofa waiting for you to come home each night, praying that perhaps for once you might not have a single scratch on you. But you’re so selfish. You don’t seem to care that we all worry about you, every night.” With every sentence I got myself more and more worked up until I was shouting with tears in my eyes.