Chapter 6

Chapter Six

Never in the three years it took to get my MA in Metaphysical Behavior would I have ever thought this day possible. Scratch three years, not in my right mind did I ever think that I would find any supra-natural beings that not only wanted to work for government but could stand to be supervised by a mere human.

I stood outside the frosted glass doors to the boardroom. Behind this door waited over 20 Supra's, a dozen humans and my previous boss-now my peer.

I took a few deep breaths to clear my mind. My leather portfolio weighed heavy in my left hand, now clammy with moisture. I closed my eyes, c'mon. I thought to myself. You've spent over three months now composing a plan and strategy for training, interviewing the best candidates for the team, and reviewing a history of Supra-natural legal issues regarding employment. You've done the work... Go tell them who's boss!

I shook my head vigorously, opened my eyes, squared my shoulders and placed my right hand on the door handle.

The door opened from the inside, swinging inwards. On the other side of the door stood William, my Executive Assistant and Counsel. It was a flashy title, but he'd earned it in the two months since I'd hired him and worked him like a dog. He didn't mind the menial stuff and often made my job easier by presuming what I wanted before I had to ask. He was not just an assistant, but more like an educator and mind-reader. In this project I felt like a Prime Minister with a really well educated political theorist at her side. I felt secure in his knowledge and he seemed secure sharing it. The portfolio in my hand was a result of not only my work, but his and Eve's as well.

The door opening jarred me, but I recovered by walking in without a word and heading to the end of the boardroom table. I was used to seeing Gord at the end, but instead he sat four chairs down. The chair on my right was empty, meaning that William had chosen that place to sit. Fitting, I thought.

He followed me silently and sat down in his chair. His eyes remained on me, patiently waiting.

As I looked around at the team I'd developed, I felt a sense of relief. The work was done; all I had to do was talk and listen. Easy enough, I guess.

For a half hour we went over the contracts that were being handed out, the intentions of the department in regards to the ethical treatment of all employees, the special statuses they were receiving and the subsequent responsibilities of each employee: supra or not.

One woman, I couldn't remember her name but knew she was an ailuranthrope, placed her hand partially in the air. Her elbow bent at a ninety degree angle, her head stuck out from the uniform line of other heads.

Damn it, what was her name again? I glanced at William.

His eyes looked at the ceiling tiles for a second before he mouthed 'Camilla,' returning his gaze to mine.

I returned my gaze to the woman, "Camilla, I believe?" I tipped my head to one side. The rest of the room's eyes followed mine.

She looked around her and nodded, looking too scared to say more.

"You had a question Camilla?" I asked a little more direct. Why put your hand up if you're not going to say anything? I had to work at not rolling my eyes, so I settled for squinting.

"Yes, um," she made a move to stand, seemed to think about it and chose to stay seated. "I wanted to know more about the purposes of our intelligence gathering. We're not even technically 'persons' as per the Canadian Government and the Charter issues are going to take years. I'm just a little hesitant to sign my contract before I have a better idea as to what we'll be working on. I mean, technically I don't know whether CSIS is gathering intelligence to support supras getting persons rights or against," She paused and looked around the table. Her eyes returned to me, when she continued she spoke looking at William: "What stops you from forcing us to gather intelligence against our peers and kin?" She seemed to be pleading with William.