Chapter 2

And it does. My vacation is ending so fast.

“You need to wear good clothes in order to impress your boss.” My mom says while straightening my crisped blue tie.

I didn’t see Dad in my two month stay here in the Community. He works for the Technologies Department for which is far away from Phil’s Row. But I know I will see him this December when I take a break from work.

“Yes Mom, I want to get assigned to a bigger city like Manila. I’m tired of staying in provinces.”

“I’m sure Sweetie, you have proven you worth with the last one. Graduated with honors. Imagine that.” She looks at me with a spark in her eye.

I’m really glad for my Mom’s words of encouragement. I want to make her proud again.

I smile at her thinking that I want to make her proud of me again.

--

“You’re late.”

“I’m not.” I say to this worm that is clothed in fine silk with the symbol of the Community on his shirt right on his heart. Sitting behind his desk with lots of paper in front of him. “Mr. Root, I’m on time.” I say coldly.

 Looking around his tidy office. I spot my picture on the wall. Employee of the year. Well. I say I look good in that picture.

“I’m only joking with you Axel. Your old man is just trying to make you laugh.” Well, it’s not funny. “You did a good job last time with that girl. What’s her name?” He’s closing his eyes, trying to remember the name.

“Janet.”

“Yeah right. Not unlike last time with that boy Max. Do you still remember him?” He is playing with his pen.

How could I forgot? My partner who fails to graduate because he is so… slothful. Even with me as his partner, that boy is a walking failure. I will always remember him.

“I will never forget.” I try to smile at him. Looking at the crumbs on his desk.

“Well I’m going to assign you to a boy again who don’t like to study. You will have a hard time but I know you can do it my boy. I believe in you.”

Great. I’m glad of his confidence.

“Well, thanks?” I feel nervous. He is expecting a lot from me.

“Make me proud again boy.” He goes back to what he is doing and writes on his paper. Scribbling illegibly with his pen.

He looks at me. “What are you still doing here. Go. Rest.” He waves me away with his hand. “Enjoy your last day here.”

“Just be sure to be back here tomorrow morning for your transport.”

That’s it? That’s our meeting. “You didn’t even tell me the name of the boy that is going to be my partner.

He looks up again, clearly irritated.

“James”

That’s it. Silence. He won’t open his mouth again anymore. I stare back wanting to talk more.

--

I step out of his office, feeling frustrated.  I look back at the Assignments and Task Building, at its grim façade.

I look at the other worms crawling to wherever they are going. All busy, not stopping even to glance at me. The employee of the year at Unit Ph.

Of course, they don’t know. There are a lot of Employees of the Year as the number of countries in the world.

Feeling dejected, I crawl my way to the train station.

--

“I’ll really miss you Axel. Take care of yourself there.” My mom says while kissing my forehead.

“Sure Mom.”

“Be sure to…”

“To brave any challenges with wit, courage and a good old heart.” I completed the motto of us Book Worms. It is ingrain in our minds since the start of our training.

“Yes dear. Don’t forget to call me on your phone. Call your Dad also…”

“Always sleep 8 hours a day and drink..”

“I know that already.” I stop her but I smile. I understand that she’s just worried about her only worm.

“Ok, the others are waiting for you now.”

I hug her one last time. Firmly holding to her clothes. I want to take this memory of us together to keep me through the rough times ahead.

“Bye Mom.” “Bye”

I step past her on the way to other worms holding also their big luggage.

I look at the lines finding my way to where mine is at. There. Philippines. I can see the flag in which I’m very familiar with. Blue, red, white with three stars and a sun.

I look at the others. No familiar faces.

Oh! There’s Cathy. My neighbor. I will go to her.

--

“She doesn’t even brush her teeth.” Cathy says while our baggage is being inspected.

“Haha! That’s too bad.” I laugh with her.

“Yeah, I would love to have a decent partner. Mr. Root says I’m assigned to a better one.”

“That’s great.” I reply.

We already past the inspection counter.

“See you next time Cathy, heading to the other direction. Separate Balls for male and female. I’m used to this routine every travel.

I arrive at mine. I look at the big ball that will take us above ground. Clear, shiny surface rutted with stones and beams.

I look up.

I close my eyes and feel tired at what would be a long travel ahead.

(A/N: Sorry for wrong grammars. I would really appreciate if you comment, vote it if you like,)