Good News / Bad News

****THE LONG AWAITED NEXT PART!! ONLY HALF COMPLETED****

Luke pulled up to the Police station. He was still in shock that the Police wanted to question him about what happened. He walked into the reception and asked to see DC Prior. He was told to sit and wait. It seemed to take forever and Luke was growing impatient. He was just about to ask what was going on when a side door opened and a guy wearing a grey suite called out his name. Luke walked over the him and the man introduced himself as DC Prior and asked Luke to follow him in to the back to a interview room.

"What's this all about? Is all these necessary?" Luke asked. "We'll discuss all that when we're in the interview room." DC Prior replied. "Do a need a brief?" Luke asked unsure what was going on. "I don't know Mr Harris. Do you need a Brief?" Luke hated the way he said it, making out the he was guilty of some horrendous crime. "Well I haven't done anything wrong." The officer smiled at Luke and said. "Then you have nothing to worry about."

They walked into the interview room and there was another Officer sat at the desk. "This is DC Shar, she will be sitting in with us." Luke took his sit and DC Prior walked round and sat at the side of DC Shar. "Right Mr Harris, we have asked you to come in, so we can ask you about last night." It was DC Prior who was doing all the talking. DC Shar just kept looking at him and making notes.

"What about Last night? What do you want to know?"

"How are things with you and Mrs Harris? You're newly married right."

"Things are great. Like you said we're newly weds."

"But getting married and a new home and I believe you have just started a new job. That's a lot of pressure. Don't you think?"

"Yeah s'pose?"

"All that extra work, late night and I imagine, you have to do most of the work. What with Mrs Harris being pregnant."

"Look just what are you getting? You think I lost my temper. That I hit my wife!"

"Well did you?"

Luke slammed his hand down on the desk. "No! I would never hurt my wife" Luke started to cry unable to contain his emotions any longer.

"Got a temper there, haven't we. Did you lose your temper last night?"

"What no! Look am sorry. Its been a stressful couple of days."

"That's what we are talking about. Did you get stressed last night. Did you lose your temper with Claire."

This was the first time DC Shar had spoke and it that Luke like a punch in the stomach. "I have never and will never hit Claire. I love her and Bump with all my heart." Tears were streaming down Luke's cheeks now. "Look I never hit her, well I did but not like you think. You see there's this wardrobe. This dam wardrobe. Its on the landing of our new house. Like who puts a wardrobe on a landing? And why did they not take it with them. They took everything else. Well you see Claire didn't like this wardrobe and wanted it out of the house, so I agreed to get rid of it when we got back and that's what I was doing. I went up stairs to break it down and I couldn't open the doors. They were jammed. I hammered a screwdriver into the gap and forced the doors open. I didn't relies that Claire was stood so close. The doors swung open with such force and hit.... and hit Claire. Oh god it was awful I saw her falling and there was nothing I could do."

He looked at the police officer excepting them to say something, but DC Prior just stared at him and DC Shar was busy writing. Luke's mouth felt dry and his body ached. Finally the two officer exchanged looks and DC Prior nodded. "Okay Mr Harris that will be all for today. We need to follow up more enquires and we will need to see the wardrobe at some point, so we will be in touch. I will show you out."

Luke check his phone as he walked back to his car. He had two missed calls, one from Terry and one from his boss. They had both left voice-mails, so Luke listened to them.

"Hello Luke I hope your okay. There's no change with Claire, the Doctor has checked on her and said she and the baby are fine. What time do you think you will finish work? Mary wants to know, she was thinking of going for a meal with you, before you see Claire. Speak to you soon."

...........

Next message.

..........

"Hi Luke, you ran off before I could thank you for today. Well no probs I Know you've got a lot on. So I'll see first thing Monday, we'll have a meeting. Come to my office for 8:45. Have a good weekend."

Great a meal, thats the last thing I want! Luke mumbled to himself as he sat in his car. He closed his eyes and rubbed the bridge of his nose. He was lost in thought when his phone rang again, making him jump. He looked at the screen. It was Terry again. He quickly answered it.

"Hello Terry, is everything okay?................................................No, No, I ermm I am on my way to the hospital now...................................................Yeah I did get your message, to be truthful Terry I really want to see Claire first.................................That's great, yeah we can eat after......................Okay Terry see you soon."

Short time later Luke was walking into the ward. Terry and Mary saw him coming and stood up to greet him. Mark hugged and kissed him and Terry shook his hand. Luke walked over to Claire and kissed her on the forehead. It was about the only place that didn't have, tubes, leads or bandages on it. He sat at the side of her and hold her hand. Mary came up behind him and place her hand on his shoulder. "She looks such a mess" Luke said. "I know love, but she will heal and be beautiful again." this made Luke smile. "She also looks beautiful to me." Luke stared at his wife and tears ran down his cheeks. "I didn't want to tell you on the phone Luke, But we have some news about Claire." Luke jumped up and faced Terry. "What do you mean news? What's wrong?...... Oh god!" Mary placed her arm around him. "It's not bad news Luke. The Doctor says if the swelling continues to go down. They are looking at reducing her medication and bring her out of the coma." Luke's knees buckled under him and he fell to the floor crying.

Terry and Mary looked at each other, Mary went to comfort Luke, But Terry stopped her. "Let him cry, give him space." It broke Mary's heart to see him like this. After a few minutes Luke composed himself, wiped his eyes and stood up. "Sorry I just.." Mary couldnt help herself she wrapped her arms around him. "Its okay you're just relieved. We all are. What you like a coffee?" " That would be great thanks."