6 | Lost in You

Chapter 6

It has been a month since Ma told Sarah the truth about Dad. It wasn't easy at first. She stopped drawing and kept to herself, aloof and unhappy. A recluse in her own home. One day, while Ma and I were downstairs, Sarah came to us and asked for a new sketching book. I'd never felt happier in my life.

I had agreed to pose as Emma (Sarah's creepy porcelain doll) so that she could draw my portrait. She'd giggled when I'd pouted my lips, fluttered my eyelashes and pretended to speak in Emma's childlike voice. I even did a robotic dance just to hear her laugh again.

Little by little, she became her old self. I knew my sister would be all right. She was a strong girl, stronger than I ever was, and Ma and I would give her all the love she was denied by Dad.

"He's always late," Naomi said, dragging me from my train of thoughts.

She took a bite from her biscuit cone, munching noisily. We were sitting on a bench outside our favorite hangout: Purple Berries Ice Cream Parlor. To my right, Carlos played a game on his phone. 

I angled up my cup, drinking the last of my chocolate ice cream. Standing up, I walked to the recycle bin and threw the empty cup. No amount of cold weather stopped us from coming to this place.

It was a little past three o'clock in the afternoon. The sky had cleared, the sun shining bright. A car pulled up at the street. Several people turned their heads to look at it, myself included. The front and back bumpers weren't bent and twisted as I remembered them. The headlights and windows had been fixed, the red paint gleaming in the sun like smooth silk. Aiden's car, once broken and rusty, was now the most awesome thing I'd ever seen.

"I don't believe it," I said.

Naomi pushed my chin up, closing my gaping mouth. Aiden had refused to let us inside his garage ever since he'd brought the car. So that was what he had been doing all those months.

"1969 Ford Mustang," Aiden said, poking his head from the driver's window and grinning at us.

"No shit," Carlos muttered. He eyed the car like it was the most delicious candy in the whole world.

"Listen to how she purrs," Aiden bragged. Twisting the key in the ignition, he revved the engine.

Carlos whistled. "I think I'm in love."

Naomi and I laughed.

"Damn, look at all those smooth curves." Carlos continued, caressing the bonnet. "Just you and me all night long, mi amor."

I gave a little snort. "Get a room, you two."

Aiden walked out of his car. He clucked his tongue in disapproval and said, "No touching, man. She's all mine."

Naomi stared at Carlos. She shook her head, tried her best to suppress a laugh and failed.

Carlos bent forward, pressing his face close to the car. "Tell him you want me, babe."

Pretending to hold a microphone, he began singing a song I hadn't heard before. It must be part of Blue Ravens' new album. Carlos had a fantastic voice, all husky and suave. I suspect he added a few naughty words to the lyrics when he switched to Spanish.

When he finished, Aiden playfully punched his shoulder. "Shut up, man."

"He's crazy," Naomi whispered to me, still watching Carlos.

"They both are," I replied.

The two boys struck a conversation over something but I was too busy ogling at the car to bother paying attention.