Chapter 4

Adge sat heavily on his hammock, going over this very new plan. What if there was a way to get inside again…? The Order was luxurious and this was no secret to anyone on Metrivos. If Adge could snag a job working for them, maybe he could gain special access to certain areas, certain information. Suddenly, his eyes lit up. There was a way! The Order was highly populated and sponsored by the elite of society and the elite were very well cared for in exclusive resorts funded by the average citizen. If Adge paid them a visit and got a job in the catering service, he could put the position to future use. He sat back in his hammock with a grin and began to drift off…

Finally, Shale led Emery to the remains of a rundown dwelling. Hidden inside was a deep pit that continued in multiple tunnels. Shale stopped at its mouth and reached for a match within a pocket to the side of the wood covering. A lamp was there too, but it was strange and looked so different from anything that she’d ever seen. It looked as if it had been a torch once before but was welded into the shape of a scorpion. Shale lit its tail and the flame somehow traveled into the belly of the monster and became trapped by its metal legs. The light even seeped out of its eyes, which made it appear very spooky. Emery followed closely, this time in human form. The tunnel was deep and stretched to an admirable width so that there was enough shoulder space. Emery could tell that whoever had built this system had spent a great deal of time and energy on it. It was well constructed and strategically located. Shale kept on through the network, lamp in hand, and quickened his pace. How many tunnels had they gone through? Three? Four? Emery had lost track back at the mouth, but she followed her guide without question. Finally, Shale stopped at the foot of one of the intersecting tunnels. As they got closer, Emery noticed it was much bigger than the others and she began to hear voices coming from within. Shale heard the voices also and hurried towards them.

“Come on, Emery!” he called with a quick smile. “This way!”

Emery tried to keep up with him, but soon he was only a speck of light suspended in the distance, in the darkness. The voices stopped now and were materializing into human figures. One by one, those figures found her. Hands and eyes gleamed in the plentiful light provided by a nearby fire, grasping her shoulders, touching her face, eyes widening in alarm. Emery couldn’t blame them. As far as they were concerned, she seemed like nothing more than an intruder, a spy for the Order. They roughly pushed her toward the source of the firelight and Shale’s face came into view again. He looked stern and strong.

“Comrades, you have nothing to fear,” he spread his arms wide, reaching out to a distressed audience. “Emery is one of us, a darkmolder. She has traveled from the very center of Metrivos, the Industrial City, in search of the underground. I have brought her here to you so that we can get some answers. She may even become a valuable asset to our cause.” He looked to her with hope in his eyes. A vision she hoped she could live up to…

Emery stood up in front of the assembly with only a slight tremor in her voice. “If it is answers that you seek, allow me to meet with your leaders privately and without interruption,” she suggested. “Then, we will discuss our mutual quarrel with the Order and my role in its downfall.” She kept her eyes steady and fierce. Shale admired her natural leadership, although a little caught off guard by her performance. After all, she was just a kid…right?