Coyote

Everyday

The pain. That's all I can remember. The deep, agonizing pain that rushed up and down my bloodstream. Pain that was almost too much to handle for a girl that was barley 4 years old. 

Another memory, a brief flash. Staring down, screaming at a mesh of white wool stained with red from the blood gushing out its stomach. I remember racing toward my mom and embracing her as I accidentally soaked her beautiful silk night gown with the blood from the sheep on my tiny body. A week later we got on the news, the headlines being something about a coyote on the loose, killing numerous animals on the farm. It's been almost 13 years and my family still worries about the farm.We were losing money fast. One time, I heard them say that we were going to be moving in less than a year, moving to the city. No more open space, no more animals or crops, no more house. But today was their special day, it was their anniversary.

"I've always dreamed of living on a farm with about five kids," my mom always said, "But Rachel, I think you're the only kid I would ever want!"

 I've always wondered what it would be like to have a brother or sister. Sometimes it gets a little lonely around the house. My dad is usually plowing the crops, my mom taking care of the animals, and me, inside and home schooled.

I woke up before my parents today to make them some breakfast. Sneaking past their bedroom, I quietly slipped downstairs into the kitchen. The sun didn't come up yet and the light from the refrigerator blinded my eyes. I looked around for the eggs.Only four left- two for mom, two for dad. It was their day anyways; I wanted them to have the most out of it.  I grabbed the slices of bacon, only enough now with one for each. It was only half an hour before my parents actually came downstairs. My mom smiled, looking at the dish I made them. But my dad only narrowed his eyes.

 "Where's the third plate?" He asked in a calm manner.

 "Oh, I didn't want any..." I said, cleaning the grease off the pan.

"Are you saying that we are all out of food?" He peaked his head inside the fridge. 

"Come on, Henry. Rachel made us a nice breakfast for our anniversary, let's sit down and enjoy it" my mom said in a soothing voice.

He paused for a moment, then gave me a smile of gratitude.

"Thank's for the breakfast. I just know it's gonna be great."

Everyone eased up slightly. Money was a tough thing to talk about in the house. Even though I'm 17, my parent's still believe that they shouldn't talk about it in front of me. 

Even as breakfast was over with and I headed back upstairs to do some more online school work, I could hear my parents mumble more about the house from the kitchen. 

The sun was finally going back down when I was done working and I was ready to get under the cool covers to go to sleep. My dad stopped me before going to the room.

"Hey, " He said, in a kind smile, "Good work today."

I smiled back at him, gave him a warm hug, and went straight to the bedroom to go to sleep. And that was the last time I ever saw my parents.