Help Me Love

Present Time

His fingers intertwined with mine as we ran down the street, both our breathing heavy and uneven. My feet moved slightly quicker than his, but he was right beside me the whole time until we reached a small, dark alley that both of us barely fit in. My heart pounded against my chest. It was pounding so hard I honestly thought it would pop right out of my chest. And I think Harry had the same idea in his head, too. We crouched down once we heard barking coming near the alley, and my eyes widened once I saw police dogs run right past us, officers holding onto their leashes as they looked for us. 

It was almost midnight, which was way past my curfew. My parents were probably furious. But if they find me dead, they can't get mad. 

My blue eyes looked up at Harry. His emerald eyes stared at the street light in front of us, his breathing not so audible now. The street light gave off enough light that I could see his beautiful face. His pink, plump lips were pressed into a straight line, causing his dimples to cave into his cheeks. He was absolutely beautiful. His curls fell onto his forehead, and he quickly pushed them away so they weren't in his eyes. 

"Harry ?" I squeaked.

His eyes wandered from the street light and locked on mine, his eyes softening slightly, "Yes, Olivia ?"

"Do you believe in love ?" I ask him, my voice quieter than I intended.

His emerald eyes focused on the street light in front of us, his pink lips parted as he thought.

He finally spoke after a long pause, "I don't even know what love is, to be honest." 

"What do you mean ?"

"Sometimes it can be the greatest thing in the world. It feels amazing when you know you're wanted and that someone loves you. And you just feel," he thought for a second before continuing, "safe with that person. But, other times, it can take a turn down the wrong route. It can be a beautiful disaster, and I don't need that type of drama in my life, you know ? I don't know. Love is complicated. It is hard for me to understand. It is confusing yet remarkable. And it can bring you pain, but it also fills you with happiness unlike any other. Besides, nobody can love someone like me. There is nothing to love about me." He looked over at me, his voice raspy and gentle. Behind his lovely emerald eyes was something.

It was pain.

He was wrong. Someone could love him. Someone did love him. "Who is in love with this beautiful boy ?"  you might ask.

Me.