Chapter 1

For the zillionth time that night, I threw the covers off my legs and bolted up from the bed.

I definitely heard something that time.

And it wasn't the wind, either. I'm always hearing things. But no matter what I hear, Mom says, "It's just the wind, Cooper. Just the wind."

But the wind doesn't sound like heavy footsteps crunching through the leaves. And that's what I heard this time. Definitely.

I stood next to my bedroom window. Then I leaned over and peered out. It sure was spooky out there.

I squinted to see better in the dark. Don't lean over too far, I thought.

Don't let whoever or whatever is out there see you.

My eyes searched the backyard. I lifted my head - and spotted them. A few feet away. Huge, black, gnarly arms. Reaching out toward the window.

Ready to grab me.

No. It was only the branches of the old oak tree.

Well, give me a break. I said it was dark out!

My eyes swept over the yard again. The"sound. There it was!

I ducked. My legs trembled as I crouched beneath the window. I broke out into a cold sweat.

Crunch. Crunch.

Even louder than before.

I swallowed hard and took another peek. Something moved in the shadows.

Under the oak tree. I held my breath.

Crunch. Crunch, crunch.

A gust of wind blew the tree branches furiously.

Crunch, crunch, crunch.

The frightening sounds grew louder. Closer to the house.

As I peered out, two eyes suddenly flashed in the dark. My throat went dry. I couldn't cry out.

The eyes flashed again. They were even closer to the house this time.

Right outside my window.

Staring at me.

Moving toward me.

The creature's dark shape began to take form. It was a Bunny Rabbit"I let out a long sigh.

The first night in my new house - and I was already shaking in terror.

I shuffled into the bathroom for a towel. As I mopped the sweat from my forehead, I stared at my reflection in the medicine chest mirror.

Whenever I'm scared, my freckles really stand out. There they were.

Millions of them.

I ran my fingers through my hair. I wear it long. To help cover my big, droopy ears.

I've had these huge ears my whole life. Mom keeps telling me not to worry. She says I'll grow into them. But I'm twelve now, and nothing has changed. My ears are still huge. Huge and droopy.

I wear a cap most of the time to help hide them. It's my favorite cap from my favorite baseball team - the Red Sox. So I don't mind wearing it.

A bunny rabbit, I mumbled as I stared at myself in the mirror. Scared by a bunny rabbit.

I'd made it through the entire day without being scared once. That's pretty good for me.

Back where I used to live - in Boston, Massachusetts - my best friends, Gary and Todd always made fun of me.