When Katniss Met Mandela

Okay, I had this English Exam lately, and I forgot to publish this story that I wrote, =3 I hope you like it, because I had a lot of fun writing it, =)

ENJOY! (and please "like")

____________________________________________________________________________

I can’t believe it… I’m actually going to meet Nelson Mandela. I don’t know what to ask him, how I’m going to react, because I wouldn’t find our positions or personalities to be alike. I know we’ve both done a great deal of good for our country, but why has Capitol decided that I should talk this interview with him.

The sun settled when I walked into the building where I’m supposed to have my interview with Mandela. I can feel the nerves kicking in as I walk toward President Snow. “Don’t make a fool out of yourself!” he says as he leads me toward the stage entrance. The air is surrounded by the smell of the rose that’s tucked in his breast pocket on his shirt. I decided to stop for a moment to take a deep breath, before I walked up to the stage.

It’s earsplitting as the audience greeted me welcome with a huge applause. I sat down on one of the chairs that were set on top of the stage. As I look out on the audience, I start to remember how much I hate sitting here. It was the time when Caesar Flickerman interviewed me before the games. Now it’s my turn to interview someone. “Hello Capitol, now… it’s with great honor that I stand here before you to be your hostess” I’m starting to sound like someone from the Capitol, and it’s getting on my nerves. I tried to breathe, before I went over to my next sentence. “We here in Capitol have got a huge opportunity to meet a huge fighter for human rights. Please let me present the man of honor, NELSON MANDELA!” the crowd started shouting his name loudly.

His shape took form in the entrance and I could see his name above my head with bright bold letters. He waved to the audience and they all kept shouting his name. “Hello Mandela, how are you?” as he sat down on the chair next to me. “I’m fine Katniss, I’m happy to be here to share my beliefs” he smiled. “So Mandela, I have heard a great deal of things about you, but what do you really fight for?” his face turned serious before he kindly answered. “I fight for human rights for the black and white people, but lately I’ve been fighting a lot against AIDS in South Africa” I have to admit to myself that I never ever would’ve imagined that as an answer.

“I’m a little shocked, Mandela. We don’t see much of the black people here in Capitol, most of them live in District 11” He looked at me with a surprised face “What a racial discrimination!” he said abruptly before he continued “All I’ve read about the Capitol it’s just wrong. Once everything in US was kind of good. We helped people and I tried to fight for human rights like I said earlier.” I was shocked of his exclamation, how he could dear to say US on television. Capitol decided after the war that they’d call it Panem, and that we’d never say the old name.   

The audience was shocked. I could see their faces turn red as he kept talking. “Why have someone broken the peace that the united state had” “Panem” I quickly interrupted. “I’m sorry, I meant Panem…” I knew I had to do something to distract the audience from being so angry. “I get that our world’s are so different, but we at least has one thing in common we both fight for peace” I showed him my mockingjay pin that I got from Madge. 

“What is that pin?” he asked carefully with a wrinkle above his nose. “It’s a mockingjay pin that gave me luck at the arena. I actually got it from my friend Madge, the daughter of my District’s mayor. You can probably see that it’s a mocking bird… The bird is a sign of the great Mockingjay who’s supposed to bring peace between the Districts and Capitol”. His face is pale now and he’s still in shock.

“What arena?” he asked. “After the first war between Capitol and the District’s they’ve decided that as a remembrance of the power of Capitol, that each year a boy and a girl between the ages of 12 and 18, will be sent to Capitol to be trained in the art’s of survival. Then they’re put onto an arena where they fight until only one living person remains.” When Mandela realized what I said in my last sentence he looked scared, and angry at the same time. I think I’ve shared too much information.

“I don’t understand how anyone has a heart to do such thing. I’m just fighting for human rights. For black people who don’t deserve to be judged by their color.” He stopped for a little second before he continued “we’ve both been somehow been tricked by the state. You see… when I founded The African National Congress it got banned, because I we started the black law firm. So I was sent to an awful prison in Robben Island, where I was treated poorly” I kind of understand what he’s saying, but I don’t understand how he’s alive. If I’d done such thing in Capitol I would get killed. 

“I know what you mean. All our Districts are ranked from best to worse by number, where twelve is worst and capitol is best. Capitol has managed to turn all the people of District one and two to like this regime. They actually volunteer each year to be picked as tributes and . . .” The lights went out. The darkness surrounded everyone before the emergency lights got turned on. Along the stage there are a few strips of light that leads backstage. What did just happen? I thought to myself before I figured that I should calm down the audience. “Calm down everyone, I’ll have it fixed right this away” 

I keep looking at the outline of the emergency lights as I jumped up of my seat and walked backstage to meet a not so happy Snow. The smell of roses washed over me, making me sick. “What are you doing? I told you not to make a fool out of yourself!” he said angrily. “I’m not making a fool out of myself! You’re the one who’s making a fool out of yourself, that’s why you turned off everything!” I could see his eyes tighten as he opened his mouth. “You don’t dare! I have Gale and you know exactly what I’m capable of. So now go out there and tell him exactly what you know I would want you to tell them!” 

Once again my anger rushed over me and I realized that I don’t have a choice. He has Gale and I’m afraid of what he would do to him. I have experienced what Snow is capable of before. We all have…

The light got turned back on again and everyone in the stage-room started laughing and applauding at the same time. I’m preparing myself to give Mandela the great news, the unbelievable good news. “Everyone! The lights are on!” I bow before the audience and then I take my seat again to bring him the great news. 

“Mandela . . .” I stopped for a spare moment. “I have a funny thing to tell you” His face lit up again and I can clearly see a faint sign of a smile. “We have this thing in Capitol where we prank people, and this whole interview is actually a bluff. We all know how great you are with seeing the best of people, and therefore we decided to take a prank on you and tell you this story about a false Panem” The whole audience is laughing, and Mandela grins before he dares to ask. “But it seemed so reel, you looked so depressed” I hate this, all the power Capitol has over me and my family and friends. I can’t believe I’m still doing this! Lying for Snow so that he can hide behind his devilish grins. 

“No I’m just a good liar, I got you Mandela” I raise to my feet before helping Mandela up of his chair. He looked at me with suspicion and I try to smile not to disclose myself. I gave him a hug and then looked at him and whispered. “You’re a great and honest man, keep on doing what you do.” He smiled at me; I just hope he understands what I’m trying to tell him. “Everyone, give yet another applaud for this great man. MANDELA!” Everyone applauds him before he leaves the stage with me.