Raven's Story: When We First Met (Part 1)

Marshall Lee was walking through the dark forest alone. The trees crashed against one another loudly as the wind brushed trough them. He had been walking for a long time now. His little hands were pale, and his red eyes darted around him. He was alone, but he felt as if eyes were following him. Suddenly a bush rustled off to his right. Him being the Vampire Prince, he decided to try to frighten the unknown creature away. His longish black hair fell in his eyes, and his red long-sleeved shirt hung below his wrists as he reached into the bush.

            “Come out! Show yourself and I might spare you!” He hissed as he drove his hand into the underbrush. His hand grabbed something soft and stringy, like hair. He yanked it out of the bush. It was hair, long soft black hair.

            “Ouch, that’s my hair! Let go!” A little girl wailed in a tiny high-pitched voice. He released her and gasped as he fell backwards. A dark-haired little girl emerged from the bushes. Her ripped up blue jeans showed scrapes and bruises on her knees, and she wore a sky-blue tee shirt. Her cheeks covered in freckles, and her piercing blue eyes stared at him in surprise. She stared at him in bewilderment. “What are you even doing out here? It’s dark out and it is getting cold!”

            He still sat there leaning back on his hands stunned. “Well what are you doing out here? There are monsters out here.” A smirk trickled across her chubby face.

            “Monsters? Ha! I ain’t afraid of no monsters!” She giggled cutely. Her straight black hair fell across her shoulders, and the moonlight danced across her face. Marshall recovered and began to get a little annoyed.

            “Well you should be! I am a vampire! I could eat you up!” Again, the little girl laughed at him. “Really I am!”

            “Oh, ya?” She smirked. “Eat me up then! Do it! I double doggie dare ya!” He stood up, he was about three inches taller than she was, and he knew he was stronger. He hissed in her face, and showed his vampire teeth. She did not even flinch. He had to admit it; the girl had guts. He could not hurt her though he could if he wanted to. He backed down, and snorted his annoyance. “Ha, I knew you couldn’t do it!”

            “Stupid girl, I don’t need to prove nothing.” He grumbled as she giggled her cute little laugh at him. “What’s your name anyway?”

            “Raven.” She said indifferently. “What’s yours?”

            “Marshall Lee.” He grumbled.

            “Hmm, I’m gonna call ya Marshy.”

            “No! That sounds all girly.”

            “Marshy, Marshy, Marshy!” She laughed; though he refused to admit it, she was cute and very bold in the face of the Vampire Prince. For the next couple of hours they ran around the forest talking. They played little kid games like tag, and hide and seek. Marshall started to accept the little girl’s company. He liked it too. He had been so lonely since his dad had died, and his mom was never around and had practically disowned him.

            “Raven, do you have a family? You know, like a mom and dad?” He glanced over to see her climbing a tree off to his left.

            “Ya, of course I do! Well I don’t know my dad, but I’ve got a mom and a little brother.” She called down from the lowest branch, which was right above Marshall’s head. All the trees in the forest were barren and grey. “Why, don’t you have one?” Marshall stared at his feet.

            “My dad died, and my mom is never around.”

            “Oh,” She paused as she swung on a branch above his head. “Where do you live then?”