Hunting Party [03]

"Thank you for letting me hang out here until the storm calms

"Thank you for letting me hang out here until the storm calms..." I knitted my fingers together in my lap, trying to hold back my nervous energy. I hadn't spent much alone time with Seth, especially in his home. Just the two of us. It made me unsettled in a completely different way. He came into the living room with two steaming mugs, socks padding over the hardwood floor. I tried not to stare at him, though it was difficult. Seth wasn't classically handsome or anything. His face was a little too long, and his nose too pointy. Still, he had kind eyes and a good heart.

"Five."

I lifted a brow in confusion as he set one of the mugs down in front of me on the coffee table, "What?"

He set down on the couch next to me, turning his gaze in my direction, "You've thanked me five times within the last hour..."

My cheeks burned and I quickly leaned forward, letting my hair fall like a curtain, "Well, I didn't want you to think I wasn't grateful. I know a lot of people would probably have felt more comfortable leaving me out in the storm then taking me into their house. So, just thank you..." My fingers wrapped around the handle of the mug, the heat from the ceramic stinking into my skin.

"And that's six." He muttered under his breath. I turned my face toward him, catching the teasing smirk on his lips. My stomach fluttered as he shifted closer to me on the couch, "I don't think anyone in Bedford is heartless enough to leave you stranded in the snow."

I scoffed at his words, leaning back on the couch, "I wouldn't be so certain. I'm sure you know what people in town say about me...it's not like I blame them for it..."

His stormy eyes seem to hold so much intention in them, "People say a lot of things but I have my own mind, Jez. I thought you would have picked up on that by now." I watched him take a sip from his mug, before leaning over to set it down on the coffee table. I couldn't stop my eyes from admiring the way the muscles in his arms flexed beneath his skin as he stretched. I longed to know what it felt like to be held, especially by Seth. I bet he would feel hard, and warm.

My cheeks grew hot again when he turned to me, catching me watching him. I cleared my throat, looking toward the frosted window, "I know you're not like them. You're different than most of the people in this town."

He bumped me gently with his shoulder, "So are you." I gave him a side glance. He was too much for me to handle. He had shown more kindness to me in my life than most, and I wasn't entirely sure it was deserved.

I sunk deeper into the couch, feeling solemn. I was different than the people in this town. I was different than most people in any town, "Yes, and that's kind of the problem, isn't it?" I grumbled, before lifting my mug and taking a sip. It was still a little too hot, the bitter liquid burning my taste buds before I quickly swallowed it. I looked down into the mug with furrowed brows, I hated coffee. I hated bitter things.

Seth let out a soft chuckle before taking the mug from me, our fingers brushing against each other, "I forgot you don't do coffee."

"It's okay." I shrugged my shoulders, trying to ignore the lingering sensation of skin to skin contact.