Working Victory

In the near future, Susan is a working woman that’s recently down on her luck.  She will venture to the other side of the law to get a much overdue payday.

1

The saying "pain is only temporary" can be inaccurate, to say the least.  'When it rains it pours' most describes Susan's life in recent months.  The athletic red head steers her small sky car towards the outskirts of the city for a meeting that she is not thrilled to be attending.  These parts of the city are far from elegant.  These people are the low-income residents, still living on ground level.  Susan’s sky car lands in the parking area of the out dated SkyGardens shopping mall.  She calms her anxious mind by reciting inspirational mantras she has picked up over the years.

Compassion - extending care and concern whenever possible

Minutes later she approaches a run-down Asian restaurant.  The bell chimes when she walks through the door, and the unsavory smell of spoiled food hits her nose.  It’s a good thing Susan isn't here for the chow-mein.  She walks towards the back of the near empty dining room to her awaiting party.  She joins two people; a man and woman.  The young woman is named Jackie; she gives a smile as way of a greeting. Before Jackie can say anything, the man at the table breaks the ice.

 "This ain’t gonna happen!"  A blonde bearded man says sitting next to Jackie.  Jackie speaks up on Susan's behalf.

"Yes it will. I trust her, she's solid."  Jackie utters not wanting to derail these arrangements too early. 

The man pauses, taking a long look at the red headed Susan as Jackie introduces them.  This rough looking gentleman is Jackie's jailbird boyfriend, James; and James can tell Susan is not cut out for what they have planed.

"Listen, I don't know you, and frankly, we don't need you for this…." Susan says in defense.

 "Rookies!  Only a novice says things like that."  The man responds clearly agitated.  He leans back in his chair wiping his chin.

"Everybody plays a position; each position is highly important to the success of the job.  The driver is just as important as the stick-up men.  But you inside guys feel your more valuable than everybody else.  You may have the secret intel vital for the score, but sitting behind a desk all day won't prepare you for the unknown.  Crazy situations pop up on a job, and your masters degree will not help."  James says in a calm, professional way that stuns Susan.  He continues.

"This is about trust.  Jackie may trust you, but I don't.  You are new to me, and the new guys always have to prove themselves.” James says getting serious.  “Give me your wallet." 

Susan is hesitant, putting everyone on edge.  She wants to get up and leave, but Jackie eases the mood, assuring Susan that things will be ok.  Sue reluctantly passes her things. 

“There is a retro fuel station around the corner.  The station carries at least twelve thousand in cash by the end of the work day."  James clears his throat glancing at his watch and then looks Susan in her eyes letting her know his seriousness.

“It will take me another twenty minutes to finish my dinner.  After that, Jackie and I will be in the parking lot of a pub down the street, waiting.   If you bring me twelve thousand dollars in cash in thirty minutes, you will have earned my trust." 

A chill runs down Susan's neck, not wanting to believe what was just asked of her.  Jackie only looks down at the table, as if embarrassed.  

            Leadership, both personal and professional

“Jackie... he cant be...”  Susan asks.  The only response is a cold look from James.

“That’s my price.  I’m not putting myself at risk if your not.  You have thirty minutes.”  He says abruptly.