Part 3

“So, talk, Suzi. I have some questions, but let’s see what you have to say.”

“Please be patient, for first we must define infinity. There is no way to prove a limitless infinity, but it is a useful term for a number so large it makes no practical difference. Now assume that creation is infinite. Properties and laws of nature seem to be randomly scattered, but given an infinite number of combinations, rare clumps of like-conditions coalesce into local pockets. Everything in your world and  your universe is one of those clumps, from the maximum speed of light, to the way atoms interact with each other. Other clumps contain differing laws of nature, and from them, different life forms arise, and sometimes, so does intelligence. Very occasionally, these clumps touch in ways that can be breached.”

Suzi paused to let his mind catch up with the complexity and the impact of her relatively short, but bizarre explanation.

“You’re saying that magic is real and is based on math?”

“No, science is real and based on math. My people helped your ancients understand this, in order to help them protect your world from Groot and his kind. They are predators that feed on the souls of innocence, particularly virgins. There is a conversion that takes place in the soul of those who engage in fornication, which is distasteful to them. That is the basis of your unicorn legends.”

“And vampires? It was you who attacked Juanita?”

“Both my kind and Groot’s live in different universes where shape shifting is the natural course of things. You are descended from a long line of talented mathematicians. For whatever reason, the end of virginity greatly reduces that facility. The unicorns, let’s call them, breed wildly and outnumber my kind by orders of  magnitude. This is a war we cannot win on an even field. Your people need you to close the gate, at least temporarily.

The unicorns have fulfilled their centuries-long campaign to make your kind ignorant of the true science of numerals, and are now planning a mass invasion. Neither of us was certain you were the one with the power to stop them, but now I will do anything to help you while they will stop at nothing to destroy you. So yes, I saved your virginity, which was in dire danger, as was your  skills.”

 “You admit murdering her? That’s horrible!”

“My kind lives a very long time, and I have seen entire earth cultures rise and fall, and millions upon millions die at the hand of their neighbors. My concern is with humanity as a whole, not an insignificant individual, who will die in the blink of an eye, from my perspective anyway. You need also to see the overall danger to your kind, and harden yourself to this reality.”

“Maybe, but it goes against everything I believe in. All that you say makes a surreal kind of sense, especially after I just experienced the power of the magic square. By the way, why forty-seven? Is there something special about that number?

“This is one of the subtle areas the unicorns used to undermine your science and dumb down your people. Numbers are representations of real phenomenon but are nothing in and of themselves. In the infinity of creation, each number is also infinite, even though they share some of the same criteria as others in their numeral position. You could shout forty-seven all day long, but it is the one defined in relation to that particular magic square which releases that particular response. It is one of the charming and unique variations of your universe. Other numbers in other universes react differently.”

“You say I can close this gate between worlds, so how do I do that?

“I wish I knew.”

“That is not very comforting.”

“There is a magic square that we know will close the gate, but we do not have the math skills or understanding to fill it in. As well as addition, the squares can be filled in using other operations. This is how the gate was opened in the first place, using multiplication, and we believe the inverse will close it.”