Chapter 38

“If we keep meeting like this, my mom’s going to think we’re having sex,” Riley says. 

“Not funny,” I say. “Sophie’s already giving me shit about it.”

“That aside,” she says, “You look like the cat that swallowed the canary. What happened?”

“Like I said on the phone, I had a very interesting chat with Gavin.”

“Tell me.”

“He went to two million dollars on his own. But I told him I didn’t think you’d take it.”

She laughs. “Good girl! And he responded?”

“He went to three million! Riley, can you just imagine? Three million dollars! In cash!”

“Impressive. Thank you, Dani.”

“I told him he’d have to donate the money to your charity, and said you’d give me the details.”

“All true,” she says. “Except for one thing.”

“What’s that?”

“This is going to cost him six million, not three.”

“Slap my face!”

“What?”

“Punch my eye. Right here, where it’s nearly swollen shut. That’s the most painful area.”

“What on earth are you talking about?”

“That way I’ll know this isn’t a dream.”

She laughs. “It’s not a dream, Dani. If Gavin wants this to go away, it’s going to cost him six million.”

“What’s the extra million for?”

“Insulting me with this offer after I was nice enough to let him out for five. Why are you frowning?”

“Because I hate to be out of the loop.”

“What do you mean?”

“What am I missing, Riley? What do you and Gavin know that I don’t?”

She gives me a sly look. “Promise you won’t tell?”