Emmett and Melody (Needs Title)

The alarm on the night table next to me started screaming whatever country song was on the radio and I groaned. 4:30 comes too early every morning. I pulled on my jeans from yesterday and my boots and went out to feed the damn horses, and I’m going to get three more today.

After I buttoned my shirt I left the house with my father, I fell back asleep since he was driving. I felt the truck stop,

            “We there already?”

            “No, some city girl broke down. Goin’ help, you comin’?” I groaned and got up,

            “I guess I am since I’m the mechanic.” She was leaned against the front; all I could see was the dark, waist length hair, and long, nice tanned legs, she wasn’t wearing any shoes.

            “You need some help?”

            “No, thanks, it just got overheated.” Definitely from the city, that accent wasn’t from anywhere around here. Does she really know cars?

            “Well my sons here a mechanic, he could probably take a looksee.”

            “And it just got overheated, like I said.” Why wouldn’t she turn around, it was rude to be standing with her back to us.

            “Fine, leave the little lady alone Emmett. She obviously knows what she’s doing.” My dad said turning around, I looked at her a second more before going back to the truck. “Hate them damn city girls, always so prissy.”

            “Was it right to leave her there, I mean, she could have a murderer in her car and had to send us away for a reason or Papa? What if she’s in real trouble?”

            “Well then, if she’s there when we come back we’ll grab her kicking and screaming.” I shrugged it off and went back to sleep.

She wasn’t, sadly. I’d have loved to see those legs again.

The next day when I went into work, my ex-girlfriends father was sitting there,

            “Hey boy” he said hitting my shoulder. He handed me the keys to some car,

            “Who’s car is this?”

            “Melody’s,” he said stopping the sentence, “broke down about half a mile out of town, went a picked her up.”

            “She’s back?”

            “Yes siree, beautiful as ever too, she made it out of New York herself.”

            “I’m so stupid.” I said sitting down putting my head in my hands, it all fit together and clicked.

            “Hey we don’t blame you for breaking up with her son,”

            “No, yesterday, it was her on the side of the road. She didn’t want our help, wouldn’t even look at us. She blames me.”

            “Give her some time.”         

            “Why’s she back? I thought you said she was goin’ to school.”

            “She flunked out, got involved with some wrong kinds of people, they beat her up damn bad and she’s not been straight since. Anyways, I gotta get back because I left her there alone to bring her car in and the medicine the doc put her on is makin’ her crazy. You can drop it off when it’s finished right?”