Snow White

My feet landed along the familiar path through the stormy woods. The soft crunch below my boots. My long black hair trailing swiftly along behind me. Bouncing against my back with every stride. The tree leaves were changing into the colors of the most wondrous sunset. As i was nearing my safe haven with a large basket in my hand i heard a large crash off to my left. I stopped in my tracks and dropped lower to the cold damp ground. There was still evidence of the morning mountain dew on the leaves. I readied my knife that i left tucked in my boots. The homemade wooden handle fell nicely into the curves of my hand. I gently set the basket on the ground and pussed away the under brush. I slowly crept towards the noise. Suddenly there was a second noise in front of me,

“OUCH”

I suddenly saw feet flying through the air followed by legs and a torso. I was relieved to see a familiar face. Laughter overtook my body.

“Look like the hunter has become the prey.” I said as I removed myself from my hiding place in the bush.

“Don't just laugh at me! Get me down!”

I dropped my guard a little and placed my knife back in my boot. “I can’ help but laugh, Hunter, You caught yourself in your own trap.” I put extra emphasis on his name.

    He flailed his arms, “I know, I know, Get me DOWN!”

    I kicked his knife gently with my foot, “Seems you dropped your knife too, What a shame.” I walked around him returning to his knife lying in the sandy dirt. I kicked it up into my hand. His knife was much different than mine. For one it was bigger, and heavier. It didn't feel the same. I walked to the base of the tree and spun Hunter so he could watch me.

    “Don’t! Don’t you dare Meg!”

    “You want down don’t you?” I began cutting the rope and then let gravity do the rest.

    Soon Hunter laid on the ground in a heep. I giggled again.

    “You just had to didn’t you?” He untangled himself and dusted the dirt off of himself the best he could.

    I smiled, and began to walk back towards my basket.

    “My blade.”

    I let out a sigh and placed it in his open hand.

    I pushed back through the bush to retrieve my basket. I found a blackbird stalking it. If i hadn’t known to cover them there wouldn’t be any left. I whistled and the bird turned its head as if to understand me before taking off. I returned to Hunter as he slowly pulled himself off the ground.I returned to where Hunter was standing.

    “Are you going to put it up again?” I teased.

    “The rope is too short now Meg”

    I helped him untangle the rope and he slung it over his shoulder.

“If you want to make it back in a reasonable time, try to keep up.” I patted him on the shoulder and took off along the path.

    “You think you're faster than me. That’s cute.” He chuckled.

    On the average day he is faster than me but there were three things that were to my advantage.

1) the headache I’m sure he has

2) the heavy ropes

3) I had the head start.

    Have you ever ran through the golden forest? The flashes of brilliant color flying past you? The trees part into a small meadow. The wildflowers growing here are in the brightest pinks, reds, violets you’ve ever seen. Tucked among the mighty trees across the stunning waves of colors lies a peaceful little cabin. From looking at it you would guess that its old. Sitting there abandoned for a few years. This little run down house couldn't be anymore wonderfull. But most importantly it was our home. The forest, the field, the fresh mountain air is ours. I could hear the heavy breathing and footsteps from behind me and i speed up. I neared the front door right as Hunter stopped three feet behind me. I touched the old wooden door with my hand, and threw back my head and laughed triumphantly. i smiled.

    Hunter stood in disbelief with his mouth hanging open. Part of his open jaw was his need for air, but I looked at it with admiration. I opened the door and he followed me into the small kitchen on the other side of the house. The halls were dark but the rooms were full with sunlight. The hall was a dark purple color. The wallpaper was starting to peel off the walls, but we loved it anyways.

    “You actually beat me.”

    I got out two glasses of water and he sat at the counter.

    “In all fairness I did have a slight head start.” I joked.

I handed him a full glass.

“Where is everyone?” I asked.

I sipped my water and then removed the barriers from the basket.

“I think they went to go mine.”

I scooped up a handful of the dark red fruit and washed them under the cool water flowing from the sink.

“All six of them?”

“I guess so,” He watched me work.

I ate a barry the flavor filled every part of my mouth. These barriers died my lips a brilliant red. It makes them stand out against my pale skin. It didn't have the same effect on the boys.

    “So are you going to get more rope and try to set your trap again?”

    He laughed, “Yeah.”

    Both of us were quiet. The silence was long and awkward.

    “Come get me if i'm not back by noon. You know what might happen.”

    I smiled at him as he left the room.

“You can’t get caught thats the last of the rope till we make our trip to town.” I called after him.

I finished washing and drying the fruit and started singing while i worked. Within a few seconds three blue birds landed on my windowsill. I smiled as they chirped wanting to be a part of my song. I grabbed the broom and danced with it across the room. I had every reason to be happy. By the time I neared the end of my song I was laughing. I was halted suddenly when there was a crashing sound at the front door. It was loud enough to be the front door .

“Meg?!” My name was shouted.

I ran toward my six companions at the now destroyed front door. I saw fear plastered across their faces. We didn’t know the worst was yet to come...

AUTHORS NOTE: I want you guys to know that this is a work in process we wanted to get the first chapter out there for you guys as fast as we could although with editing this may change. I hope to keep them up to date as we edit them, but I have a lot of other stuff going on. This chapter was written by me, Liz so if you find any errors please let me know. :)