Unmasked- Threats

Chapter 6:- Threats

                                       ===================

          Jennifer woke up with a start. She was all sweaty and palpitating. Her heart raced and her head throbbed. The bed-sheets were crumpled and the pillows squeezed up with indentations that would have matched the contours of her fingers had she tried to match them. A passing car outside the house blared hard rock music that jolted her further. It was the dream.

          Emily’s dream.

          Her eyes burned bright red, two incandescent orbs in the dark. Emily reclaimed Jennifer’s consciousness. She couldn’t help recollecting those moments of her past life. Those mostly pathetic, but sometimes mellifluous moments. They had seemed so real. So real that the memories manifested themselves in a physical manner, Jennifer’s body being the medium. She was most vulnerable to them when Jennifer slept at night, when her guard slackened.

          It had seemed so real. It had to, since it had actually taken place one fine afternoon four years earlier. Emily remembered it all so well.

          Rachel McDonalds had grabbed her roughly by the arms. And thrown her out the window of the classroom on the second floor of Bluecrest Heights High School.

          It had been for real…..

                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Emily tumbled out the window, a scream escaping her pale lips. All seemed lost to her. Everything was going to come to an end. The world seemed to come to a standstill as she arched through the window- her portal to death. The kids playing below appeared to have frozen, their ball in mid-air, the birds in the sky arrested in flight and the breeze piped down to a bare minimum. This was how her pathetic life was about to end- a fatal fall from two floors high.

          With superman-like reflexes and an equally comparable strength, Devon grabbed her flailing right leg and pulled her in. She collapsed on the floor, the wind knocked out of her.

          Rachel stayed where she was, a distressed look on her face. She was appalled at what she had just done. She had just tried to kill Emily.

          Devon was breathing hard, on his knees and glaring at Rachel. “Are you out of your damn mind?” he shouted at her.

          “I…I am so sorry…I don’t know what came over me,” the latter gasped, her hands on her cheeks.

          “You could have killed her!”

          “I’m so sorry,” Rachel was in tears. “You were kissing her…and I had to do something to stop it.”

          A kiss that didn’t happen. And it was meant to happen, Emily thought bitterly.

          “What is it to you? I can kiss whoever I like. Why do you care?” Devon snapped.

          “Because I love you, you dumbass! Are you so blind not to see it?” Rachel shrieked angrily, her initial shock at her deed disappearing faster than it had set in.

          Devon blinked, his mouth set and his jaws trembling. “You love me? What am I, a newborn cherub whom you can trick any and every time you want? You broke up with me five times already and later made up, only because I had been in love with you. But you can’t fool me with that shit anymore. I’m over you.”

          “You can’t be ‘over me’. I know you love me still. I want us to get back together, Devon. I want you back in my life,” said Rachel, reaching out to take his hand.

          “It’s not happening,” he removed his hand out of her reach. “Please go away. Be thankful Emily won’t report you for what you just did to her, or tried to do.” He glanced tentatively at Emily to confirm if she meant as well. Emily sat on the floor, her hair disheveled, too shocked to say anything.

          “So now you’re with her?” Rachel sneered with incredulity. “With that miserable, ugly broad?” she laughed derisively.

          Emily felt like she could sink into the floor and remain there forever. Rachel’s words hurt her bad. They hurt her like knives to the chest.

          “Watch your mouth. She’s my friend,” Devon warned.

          “What? You must be fucking kidding me! You’re gonna be with her, but not with me? You are crazy! You hear me? Crazy…,” she riposted.

          “Get lost, bitch! I don’t wanna see you again. Ever…,” he growled, furious.

          Rachel turned on Emily. “You better not come between me and Devon. You understand, whore? I’ll do things to you that you’d wish you’re never born. Keep your chappy lips to yourself and your knobby hands by your sides.”

          Emily shrank back, frightened. Rachel’s eyes spoke of murder and mayhem. The beautiful babe was a sight to behold, her blond curls flying around her shoulders and her eyes dark with malice.

          “Get out,” shouted Devon.

          Rachel turned on her heels and started for the door. Abruptly she turned back, and grabbing Devon by the neck, she planted a fierce kiss on his lips. Devon was too stunned to react as she stormed out the door, banging it as hard as she could behind her.

          “Are you alright?” he asked Emily after what seemed an eternity. He pulled her up off the floor.

          “I just want to sit somewhere,” she replied in a meek voice. Her legs seemed unable to support her and her whole body was overcome with involuntary jerks and shivers.

          “Are you alright?” he repeated, helping her into one of the chairs. Emily wanted to burst into tears. She wanted to cry herself into oblivion. Devon sat down by her side, holding her hand.

          “Don’t worry. Rachel’s not gonna do anything to you. She would feel really sorry once she calms down. She just a bit messed up here at the moment,” he pointed at his temple. “You know- kookoo.”

          “I’m afraid,” Emily blurted out slowly. “She tried to kill me today.”

          “Such things happen in the heat of the moment. You shouldn’t read too much into it,” he advised.

          “I’m scared, Devon.”

          “Don’t be. I’m there for you.”

          “Thanks for saving my life. That was incredibly fast of you, so heroic. You’re so strong and awesome,” she gushed.

          “You’re a good friend, Em. I couldn’t just let you go, could I?”

          “I guess not,” she beamed.

          He reached in closer and kissed her on the lips.

*Comments?