Chapter Twenty Four 🌼

Everyone in our mismatch group stood around a plot farthest away from any others. It sat on top of a small hill, right below the afternoon's sun. The cement headstone read that this ground was Cresswood Black's resting place.

We kept our heads bowed in silence. There were no words to share. All our hearts hurt for the same reason.

Darien stared at his dress shoes. His whole being was pale with saddness as seconds turned to minutes. He didn't know what to do.

Besides memories, there were nightmares. Each one containing resentment and pure darkness. They haunted him unwillingly.

He thought by not focusing his attention on them- they'd disappear. That's not how it worked though. He would only made them stronger by not accepting them.

I knew this well, running from personal demons was my speciality.

It was less stressful to avoid them than acknowledge the fact that they were ready to tear me into shreds.

The downside? They never leave until their exorcised.

He didn't need to run any longer. It was time he let them go so he could move on. He needed to see the brightness at the end of the tunnel.

I stepped forward, "can I say something?"

Everyone raised their heads. All eyes landed on me as I came forward. Each set was full of judgement except his.

He released a shallow breath and weakly tried to give a supportive smile.

I shook my head, "thank you for every little thing you do."

He blinked.

"Because of you- I want to wake up in the morning now. I want to keep dreaming of our future. I want to be this person you see me as- strong and beautiful." I grabbed onto his hands before squeezing them.

"I didn't know your father but I would want him to understand how much I love you and how much I'll work to scare away those monsters that keep terrorizing you."

He seemed surprised by the declaration but that didn't stop him from pulling me close. His face came down and without a moment to spare his lips fell on mine. Time suddenly froze for a second.

He tasted similair to milk tea. It made me feel warm. The heat traveled through my body and caused my rational thoughts to blur.

Everything kept spinning.

"Rosalind, are you okay?" He asked after taking a step back.

There were two of him. I couldn't help but become a little awe-struck. It was hard to keep still.

A small giggle left my mouth, "so nice."

I leaned towards one of him to embrace. Luckily, the real Darien caught me by the waist before the ground could meet my face.

"That was close." He sighed in relief.

Once our friends realized my safty hadn't been compromised, laughter broke out. The noise echoed through the quiet graveyard. It was hard to be insulted by their amusement.

Oceana wiped away a few tears. She leaned up against the short blond male who was hunched over beside her. They both were trying to catch a breath but failing each time they took a peak back at us.

On the left, the silent spectator coughed. He pressed a fist to his mouth. A small grin grew beneath his hand.

Darien frowned at the trio. He rearranged me in a position where he could hold my tiny form to his chest and stood up. His scowl forced yet not daunting.

When they saw the look, the blond was first to speak.

"Oh come on, Darien. You seriously aren't mad. How could you expect us not to laugh?"

Oceana nodded in agreement, sparing me a glance.

I didn't make any response. At this point, he had me cuddled close to him with my ear pressed against his chest. The thump of his heart was mesmerizing.

It seemed more calming to count the beats then get involved in that disscussion.

"Because, it's not funny." Darien grumbled.

"Not funny? You both are such lovesick dorks! It's so cheesy that it's-" The blond was cut off.

The silent spectator took a step forward resting a hand on Darien's shoulder. He shared a kind smile with me then offered an explaination.

"What Jackson is trying to say is it's just nice to see you so lively for a change."

This comment caused me to listen closer to the conversation.

"Usually, on ocassions like this, you have such a stone cold expression and barely even speak. Today it's different." He noted as their other friend nodded in agreement.

"Guess we have these two to thank."

Oceana snorted in response to Jackson. She swung an arm over him and winked towards me, "you should really be giving all your thanks to Rosie. She is the one who cares about him the most."

Darien shared a smile and put his forehead on mine. It was hard to avoid that strong gaze. The emotion casted between us was fulfilling inside.

Maybe I care too much....

"You think there's a cure for this supposed lovesickness?" I whispered while brushing a hand over his cheek.

He shook with laughter.

"You're something else, Rosalind."

"What does that mean?"

"Means there's never going to be a cure for this sickness."

"Huh?"

"Means I love you too," he said softly before returning the conversation to the others.

Jackson took control with his over bearing personality. He offered stories from their childhood. Each full of humorous journeys the three went on together.

The group listened to him with interest. Oceana began asking for more infomation to use as blackmail, Darien shook his head in slight embarrassment, and the silent spectator- who's name was Rohan- gave details willing. All them were so focused.

Except for me.

Did I hear him right? He did say those three little words, right? My mind wasn't playing tricks?

He loves me?