Prologue- A Love Lost

Amara Silverhood stepped out into a clearing, bow raised and an arrow already knocked. She pulled back the string anchoring it at her mouth. The bushes rustled violently as something big seemed to be traipsing through them. 

Amara took a breath, ready to drop whomever emerged. But as the leaves finally parted, she gazed upon the face of her first and only love.

"Kili..." she breathed, lowering her weapon. He gave her a toothy grin and stepped out into the open. 

"Is that really you?" Her blue eyes were wide in wonder as she took in the young dwarf. Kili stepped forward, his own eyes sparkling and grasped Amara's hands, letting her bow drop to the floor forgotten.

"Yes, yes it's me." He confirmed, kissing her slender hands. 

"But how? You're...you're-"

"Dead. Yes, and that truth still stands. This is merely a dream, my love. A dream where the living and the dead may walk together." A tear escaped Amara's eye and rested delicately on her cheek as she realized her beloved truly parted from this life. 

Kili reached up and wiped away the tear, kissing the spot where it once rested. Amara closed her eyes, feeling the the warmth of the kiss travel through her. When he pulled away, Kili offered his arm and Amara took it.

"Walk with me, Amara. There is much I must tell you." So they left the clearing, delving deeper into the forest. Silence filled the empty air and hung there for what seemed like an eternity. But neither minded as they were in the company of the one they loved most. 

Kili came to a stop, pulling Amara to one as well. With a deep sigh, he turned fully to her and looked into her bright eyes. Except, they weren't bright as he remembered them to be. They were dull and cold, but a small flicker of hope was aflame behind it all. And he knew that it would be him who blew it out. 

"What is it, Kili?" Amara asked, worry evident in her gentle voice. Kili looked down at his boots, which were still splattered with mud and blood from the Battle of the Five Armies, the Battle that claimed his life. 

When he finally looked back at his love, her eyes were now masked in worry. Kili cupped her face with his hand and she leaned into his touch.

"Oh, Amara...too long have you suffered." He whispered. At this, Amara bit her lip and looked down.

"You've seen it?" She asked. Kili ran his thumb along her cheek.

"I have watched as you traveled nearly every last inch of Middle-Earth, scouring the land in search of some sort of closer to what happened so long ago. Amara, it's time to let go..." Amara stepped out of Kili's gentle touch, her face contorted in anger.

"You died Kili! Killed before my very eyes! And I could've stopped it! If I wasn't so stupid, so naive to think that my actions would go unpunished! It was my fault you died. Maybe, maybe if we had never met... If I didn't love you the way I do."

"Amara, you couldn't have stopped the orcs. Only died trying."

"Then we would be united in death. A far better fate than this one."

"Do not wish that upon yourself, my dear Amara. None of what happened was your fault. And yet you carry the guilt with you day by day. It's time to move on from this Amara. To move on from us. It will only lead to more pain, more suffering. It's time, my love. I am sorry." Kili took a cautious step forward and embraced Amara as she broke down in tears. 

Her knees hit the forest floor as Kili held her tight. Now, at the right height, the Dwarven Prince pressed his forehead against Amara's.

"Tha Nogazen othok."  {I love you} He whispered, before pulling away. Amara searched his eyes for answers and he noticed something different in her own. They were still dull and cold, yes, but the flicker of hope was extinguished. 

Kili stepped away and with a nod of farewell, he disappeared into the trees. And Amara collapsed completely in a heap, her cries echoing up into the sky. Whatever hope she held onto was snuffed out and now all that remained was a shattered life.