One's Lonely, Five's Crowded

Chapter 1

Tiled pathways snaked around Silver Creek High, like rivers with smaller branches. The mid-day sun was visible above all the that trees lined the the path, casting shadows on the mosaic tiles. The school crest was made tile for tile, Silver Creek High engraved right below it. Nicole and Alex walked right over, engrossed in their conversation.

“Really? How was it?!” Nicole asked, looking at her friend in excitement.

“It was awesome! He was so nice and the restaurant was so classy! The food was--” Alex was interrupted by shouts of encouragement and the groans of onlookers as they watched lucky hits land every now and then.

“Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!” Witnesses shamelessly chanted, not bothering to stop the fight. Cale landed a punch to the other boy’s stomach. The boy let out a pained groan, clutching his aching stomach before landing on the stone pavement that was now caked with crimson blood. The mosaic was smeared with it, making it almost impossible to see another colour.

“Shit.” He mumbled, wiping scarlet from his bloody lip.

But the boy did not give up. He stood up from the bloody ground and threw a sloppy punch. Cale caught his fist before the boy even had the time to react. He dropped the boy’s fist and grabbed the collar of his school uniform, almost ripping the fabric. Cale gave his trademark smirk, jerking his hand forward, towards the boys face, in between his eyes. Closing his eyes, the boy tensed up, waiting for the impact. But it never came.

Nicole came running up to Cale, punching him in the back to get his attention. She noticed that his shirt uniform was ripped and also bloody. When Cale turned, she gave him an icy smile. “Hello, Cale. May I ask you something?” Her face was sickly sweet but her voice was drenched in poison.

“I’m kind of busy at the moment but it can wait for you.” Cale winked, making Nicole scrunch up her nose and roll her eyes. Nicole staredat the boy with her eyes. He followed her gaze to a scared looking boy.

“Oh, right.” He let go of the boy’s collar and shoved him away before turning back. “You were lucky this time. Next time, George, next time, you won’t be saved.” Turning to Nicole he raised an eyebrow.

“What the hell was that?!” She screeched, whacking him on the back of his head.

“Woah, woah! Chill, Nick, chill! No need to yell.” He raised his hands up in surrender.

“Chill?! No need to yell?! Do you have freaking sanity problems?” Nicole looked astounded. She wondered what the hell happened to that boy when he was younger. She wondered if his mother dropped Cale on his head when he was a baby.

“No, Nick, I’m pretty clean. I took a shower this morning. I brush my teeth. I make sure to apply my cologne. I always use deodorant. I am pretty sanity!”

“Are you stupid? I said sanity! Not SANITARY!” If this were a cartoon, she thought, steam would be pouring out my ears and I'd be whacking him over the head with a giant mallet.

Cale playfully punched her and let out a low, hearty roar, “Really? Is there a difference? ‘Cause I have no idea!” His voice was laced with sarcasm. Cale punched Nicole once more, winking.

She groaned, “Seriously, Caley! Your sarcasm will be the death of me!”

“Good.”

“What did you say?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Nothing.” He mumbled under his breath, scowling.

“Good.” She mocked before winking. “Now go say sorry.”