7.1 Fairytale Part Three: The Final Scene

CHAPTER SEVEN

FAIRYTALE, PART III: THE FINAL SCENE

01 EXT. THE CASTLE OF THE EVIL PRINCE - DAY  01

The movie opens with drawings of a little girl and her dad. While the pictures fade in and out, a NARRATOR with a deep voice tells the story.

“Once upon a time, there was a young girl who lived a very happy life.” Dad's voice had a nasally quality that I never imagine for the narrator, but with a month left until the Lakeshore Celebration Art Show, I was running out of options.

“Try it again,” I said, then slid the camera closer to his lips.

“What would you like me to change?” he asked.

“What do you mean.”

“You're the director. Should I read it faster, slower--”

“Just... I dunno. Just try it again.”

Dad removed his bifocals, folded them, and placed them neatly on the dining-room table. He rubbed his fingers against his temples, stretching and releasing the creases in his paper skin, then repeated his lines for the eighth time.

The performance was worse, but it wasn't his fault. I was distracted. My mind was stuck on Ryan's declaration of war. He read Mara's diary to get my attention. It worked.

As if Ryan wasn't enough to divert brainpower away from my film, Mom, Mrs. Greenfield and Mara were having a “ladies night” in the library. My ears weren't interested in the nuanced inflections of my father's narration, they were itching for the seam around the library's hatch.

“How was that?” Dad asked.

I removed my headphones and sighed. “Perfect.”

“If you want me to do it again--”

“Naw. I think we're done for the night.” I stood, gathered my equipment and reached for the camcorder.

“James,” he said.

“Really, Dad. You did fine.”

“James,” he said again, calming my fluster with his pensive tone. “Let's go for a drive.”