Words Unspoken

A/N: This chapter dedication goes to @Mycastleofbooks. Congratulations :)

The remainder of the night Sophia slept in our bedroom, between her father and I. Though, neither Nic nor myself slept a wink. Until I knew more about the thing I had seen in Sophia's room that night, I didn't want to get my family in the middle. My father would be disappointed if he knew I kept this from him this long.

As the sun began to rise Sophia's eyes fluttered and then opened. She stared up at the ceiling for a few moments and then turned her head to look at me. Almost immediately a smile played on her lips.

"Mommy." She said in her tiny voice before sitting up. She turned to look at Nic who had fallen asleep just an hour prior and spoke. "Daddy." She said.

Nic was unresponsive in his slumber which Sophia didn't like. She moved out from under the blankets and climbed on top of his chest and forced his eyes open with her fingers.

"Daddy!" She called again as she moved her eyes close to his.

Nic startled, blinking his eyes open, in which Sophia had released. For a split second he was shocked but that quickly disappeared once she said 'daddy' again.

"My angel." Nic said as he wrapped his arms around Sophia and gathered to his feet. "I think her growing has halted." He added as he looked to me.

I stared at Sophia's limbs as Nic held her in his arms. She looked the same as she did yesterday, only her hair was slightly longer, but barely noticeable by me.

"It seems it has." I rose from the bed and walked around to Nic's side where I took Sophia from him and set her to her feet. "It is time for a morning bath and then to get dressed. Then, we will go see Grandma Esme who will help with the learning of your vocabulary."

"Vocabulary?" Nic repeated as he followed me into our ensuite bathroom.

"Yes, she will learn sentences. Esme has experience in teaching young children."

"But you could teach Sophia yourself."

"It is so Esme and Sophia can bond while I speak with my parents about what has happened. That is all." I reassured him as I turned on the bath waters.

This bathtub was bigger than the one I had back at the lakehouse. It was also a half a foot deeper which is why I felt more at ease taking a bath with Sophia. The water would go to her neck.

Once the tub had filled with water I stripped both Sophia and myself of our clothes and we climbed into the tub together. I smiled as I watched my daughter playing with the bubbles. It reminded me of my time in the bath with my mother after we had gone ice skating in the meadow my parents loved.

I still couldn't believe how terrified I was of becoming a mother. It was the most natural thing I had done my entire life, apart from marrying Nic. I loved every second I was blessed with and was excited that I was lucky enough to have an eternity. Not to mention that I would be able to have children for as long as I lived because I was half human.

"Sophia," I began.

She glanced up at me almost immediately and smiled sweetly. "Yes, mother." she responded in such mannerism.

My breath caught in my throat when she spoke. I inhaled deeply and then released before I continued. "What would you like to eat for breakfast?" I asked her.

I didn't expect her to say much since I presumed her vocabulary was very limited so what happened next caught me completely off guard.

"I like food. The yummy kind." She responded. "But, I think I just want milk."