Chapter Twenty-Three

Valeria instantly tried to calm herself. Seeing the child Natalia in her pajamas at the door of her hotel room, some six to eight miles from her Pacific Grove home--and in the middle of the night, came as a powerful shock. The fourteen-year-old seemed distant and silent as she now sat stiffly in the chair before the posh hotel room picture window. Natalia's safety, both physical and psychological, was foremost on Valeria's mind. She reached over and took the somnambulistic girl's cold hand and tried to see some recognition or reaction in her. There was none.

From the girl's trance-like demeanor, Valeria was certain she was still sleeping. And knowing she might respond to her inquiries in this state, Valeria attempted to communicate with her.

"Natalia? . . . it's good to see you again," she said calmly. The indirect lighting was dim, and the girl appeared almost as a silhouette.

"I'm not Natalia . . ." she suddenly responded, starkly and confidently. It was shockingly an adult woman's voice. " . . .My name is Ruby."

Again, a wave of fear came over the young researcher's whole body.

"And why have you come here? . . . All the way to Carmel to see me . . . Ruby?"

"I have come to instruct you . . ." she said in a monotone voice. "You must give a message to someone. Here, tonight."

"Who, Ruby. What message?"

"Someone who lives with torment . . . eternally. You are to release her. To take her from a curse she has suffered too long. A curse . . . caused by me."

"How so? Who is she?"

"She must know the truth of a story which you must tell her. So she can rest in peace."

"But who? And why me? How am I and my family connected to this curse?"

The young girl, as merely the host of the voice, spoke clearly and deeply, with inflection as if she were much older. Valeria looked down and could see the girl had several small rivulets of blood around both bare feet. Injuries obviously caused by her walking barefoot the long journey to Carmel on the asphalt roadway through the forest.

"Natalia? May I get you some water? Shall we wash and care for your feet?

"No!" the voice said emphatically. "You will soon call Lupe and Ortencia, to come and take me home. But first I must give you the message you are to share."

Valeria was stressed and ever fearful. Though in some way she felt closure might be coming through this remarkable event. At the same time she felt responsible for the young girl's well-being and welcomed that she would be calling Natalia's family.

"Ruby . . . I will do whatever I can for you. But please. Just tell me who you are. And whom I am to give this message to."

The frail girl remained stationary in the chair, only her mouth moving. Yet she was fully engaged in the unworldly dialogue which Valeria had begun. Her diminutive figure in the chair was incongruous with the maturity and powerful voice that filled the room from her.

"Your grandmother Maria was a very special person," the voice went on. "But you were never allowed to know her well. Neither her great gifts, Valeria. You grew up well. And with your Grandmother Maria's spirt of wonder and courage. Very much like mine. Her own mother."

Valeria nodded back, pensively.

"And now, these years, you have shown the desire to study what she and I both carried since birth. Gifts little understood by most."