chapter thirty five

when I saw this picture I almost dropped my phone and fell off my bed😫

••

I furrowed my eyebrows in a confused manner, who would knock on our door at midnight? The last time that happened... he showed up. A sickly feeling starts to grow in my stomach, all of a sudden I feel scared - vulnerable.

"Brad..." my voice cracked as I spoke, I could tell he knew I was scared.

"I'm here, don't worry," Brad stood in front of me protectively and made sure I was safe - he's so precious.

"The last time this happened I was by myself, Brad, I don't want you to answer!" I snapped, but I kept my voice down so whoever was outside the door couldn't hear us.

"It will be fine! Just... don't overthink this - please. You stay here, while I have a look, okay?" He turned to me, his hands placed firmly but softly on my shoulders. I nodded my head and swallowed the fear that was in my throat. I stepped behind the living room wall and watched as Brad walked towards the door.

He reached for the keys and held them tight so they wouldn't jiggle about, he got on his tippy-toes and looked through the spy hole in the door - he's so tiny! Not now Maddie!

Brad puts his feet back onto the ground and unlocks the door, slowly and quietly. I watch as he peaks his head around the door - I can hear mumbling, they're having a conversation? Who is it?

Brad turns around and faces me, a blank expression on his face. I look at him confused - he points to the door with his thumb and stands behind me as I hesitantly walked towards the door that was open by a fraction. I grabbed the door handle and took a deep breath to get rid of all the anxiety that suddenly washed over me - I opened the door and I couldn't believe who stood before me.

Alissa

Life in LA is a dream come true. It's like a paradise, it's like I can escape everything and just be me, the real me. I've met so many amazing people here and I don't regret leaving my past behind - no way - this is the best choice I have ever made.

After Maddie's party I had an argument with my boyfriend - he wasn't faithful and was being an ass, so I got on a plane and flew to LA.

(I know Alissa lives in the USA but just pretend she didn't before for this okay thank u)

This is where I feel most at home, I have an apartment with one of my best friends, Chantel. I have also started talking to someone, a guy. He's just... ugh. I think I'm falling for him.

"Yo Alissa! You coming?" Chantel shouts from outside my bedroom.

"I'm coming!" I reply and grab my purse and throw my phone and money in it. I throw the small strap over my shoulder and clutch the front of the purse in my hand and make my way towards Chantel.

"Where are we going?" I ask as Chantel grabs her purse and locks the door behind us.

"We're going to meet a few people and we'll see where we go from there," I nod in response and start to walk as the door locks. Chantel walks right next to me as we exit the building.

Chantel is like my sister, she's been there for me through thick and thin and she has put up with my snarky attitude and my countless mood swings - I don't know what I'd do without her here with me. I'd probably be all alone.

••

Turns out, whoever we were supposed to meet had last minute plans to go somewhere so Chantel and I went to the mall instead. She bought a pair of jeans and a couple of tops, I haven't bought anything yet - which is surprising since it's normally the other way around.