You'll Always Be Mine - Chapter Fifteen - Epilogue

Start from the beginning

“I wonder why,” he mumbled under his breath. Every time I thought things between us were more normal he would come out with some little comment like that and I would be reminded of how angry he still was. “Sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.

I ignored the comment and his apology. We already went around in circles a lot. One minute we were getting along amazingly and the next we were having the same argument about how stupid I was to go back and face Clover. I wasn’t sure if there was more to it though, he seemed too fixed on that part.

Lewis was about to say something else when Henry and Becca walked around the corner, everyone cheered and threw confetti over them. I was thankful for the distraction. He put his hand on the small of my back and smiled at the couple walking towards us and being covered in tiny pieces of colourful paper. My body still reacted to Lewis’ touch, even the smallest touch, like his hand on my back made me want more.

“Congratulations, I’m so happy for you,” I gushed, hugging Becca tight when everyone had stopped throwing things on them.

“Thank you. I’m so happy for me too.” She hugged me back and whispered, “We made it.” I knew what she meant even though she didn’t say. Smiling, I let her go and nodded. We did make it. It wasn’t completely over but the worst parts were behind us and we could live normally again.

We were called to the back of the hotel to the gardens for the pictures and drinks reception. I was the only bridesmaid so I had to pose for quite a few but I didn’t mind at all. One of the pictures was me, Lewis as he was the best man, Henry and Becca. I couldn’t wait to see that one and would definitely be ordering a copy for myself.

Once pictures were over we mingled in their designated room with more drinks and canapés while we waited to be called for dinner. Becca and I grabbed a fresh glass of champagne off the tray and thanked the waiter. She sighed happily. “I’m officially your sister-in-law now.”

“Yep,” I said with the biggest grin. From being down in the cellar she’d been like a sister and now she really was.

“Excuse me,” some lady said to Becca. She was dressed the same as the other staff members here so she must work for the hotel. “This came for you this morning.” She handed Becca a small white envelope.

“Thank you,” Becca replied politely, handing me her glass as she opened it. “It’s a card from Chantelle! She said congratulations and sorry again that she couldn’t make it.” After what happened Chantelle was cleared of murder, she was only trying to help us after all. She was currently living three hours away with her cousin. I was worried about what would happen to her at first but once her name and face was out there her cousin came forward, they hadn’t seen each other since they were children but she said Chantelle should live with her and be around family. Her loser father didn’t even get in contact. At least she had someone real now.

Chantelle was so upset and apologetic about everything but it wasn’t her fault, he took advantage of how lonely she was. Everything was right now though, we were moving on with our lives and Clover was buried in the grave yard, next to his mother, the person that was really on the receiving end of his apology. We later found out from someone at the hospital that Clover’s final words were actually, ‘Sorry, mum.’ Michael was apparently just trying to give us closure. At first I was upset but then I realised that nothing he could ever say would actually make anything better so it didn’t matter in the end.

“That’s nice of her. We should visit soon.” Becca nodded in agreement. We kept in contact with Chantelle by Facebook, phone calls, texts and had visited her twice but the last time was months ago.

“In a month or so. I have a new husband that I need to take advantage of for a while first,” she said with a smirk, clearly enjoying my discomfort.