You'll Always Be Mine - Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven – Cracks

Summer’s POV

Walking back to the car hand in hand with Lewis, I looked up at him and smiled. “Thanks for coming with me.”

The smiled he gave me in return was forced. “Anytime.” He meant that, although I could tell he didn’t want to have to do it. I knew if he had his own way we would be miles away now.

There was very little conversation as he drove back to my house and I was constantly trying to think of something to say. Things had never been that bad between us before. “Lewis, say something,” I pleaded. It was wrong of me to expect him to be the one to make conversation and fix us, but that was what he had always done. I didn’t really know how to.

“Henry’s got a secret girlfriend,” he told me. See, he was much better at that stuff than I was.

“Really? Who?”

Secret girlfriend,” he repeated. “He won’t tell us who she is, or even if there is a she.”

“So how do you know?”

He shrugged. “Caught him buying a huge bunch of flowers. He must have been making up for doing something wrong.”

“Guys don’t only buy flowers for girls because they’ve messed up,” I said, laughing even though I knew better than most people that men bought flowers for all different reasons, not just because they’ve done something wrong.

“Ninety percent of the time they do, except for me of course,” he said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, of course.” Lewis used to buy me sunflowers, or just pick them from the lady down the street when she was out! I used to love getting flowers but now even the thought of it made me feel sick.

“And if a guy buys chocolates then he’s really fucked up.”

“Who said romance was dead,” I replied sarcastically.

Lewis chuckled and pulled into my drive, cutting off the engine. We sat in silence for a few seconds. This was usually the part where we would kiss before getting out of the car; instead we just looked at each other. I had no idea what I was thinking but if it was the same as me then I was scared. Would we work out? Has too much happened? Were we two different now?

I was no longer the happy-go-lucky teen I once was and he had lost his inner child, the thing that made him so much fun to be around. The changes in us both, I hoped, were only temporary. Once Clover was back behind bars, or wherever they were keeping him, then we would be able to move on. I was almost able to convince myself that was true.

Lewis sighed. “Let’s get inside then.” I followed a step behind him as we walked to the front door. He had taken my hand, winding his own around it but it felt more out of habit than anything else.

“Are you okay?” Mum questioned, the second we were through the door.

I nodded, squeezing Lewis’ hand. “I’m fine.”

“We’re going to watch a film,” Lewis told my mum, understanding that little gesture. We had no plans to watch anything but because he’d told mum we were I put the first DVD on that I saw. 27 Dresses. Lewis was not going to enjoy that but I had a feeling neither of us was actually going to watch it. “Your taste in films suck,” he said, holding one arm out for me.

I snuggled against his side. “No it doesn’t. You’re just a stereotypical guy; all you look for in a film is cars, sex and violence.” He laughed and kissed the side of my head. “Do you want me to put something else on?” The thought of actually moving off my bead wasn’t appealing but if he really didn’t want that film on, even as background noise, then I would change it.