XX

ACT IV | SCENE XX

CHOCOLATE GATEAU

THE PARTY INVITATIONS had already been disseminated. when hoseok had given jangmi copies of the cards, she'd realised just how over the top the duo of her best friend and jimin's sister could be. she still couldn't believe they had come up with something so elaborate and had enough time to get them printed.

brigitte flipped the wine coloured, butterfly shaped card around in her hands. "by invite only? really?" she glanced at jangmi, incredulity written on her face. jangmi only shrugged, laughing lightly. "so it would seem." she piped. "they do know this is a four-year-old girl's birthday party not some high-end wine tasting right?"

jangmi pushed the cart where rosalie was seated, playing with a small red yo-yo. "they're going all out. the effect of an event planner and the owner of an art gallery working together." she answered. "well, they better not fucking ruin my baby girl's birthday with their dramatics." brigitte said. "brigitte moreau!" jangmi pressed her hands to her daughter's ears.

"sorry!" brigitte clapped a hand over her mouth. shaking her head, jangmi sighed. she picked a box of rosalie's favourite cereal and dropped it in the cart. brigitte tossed a pack of chocolate chip cookies. rosalie's eyes fell on the pack and she glanced up at the woman with glee.

"do you want aunt brigitte to make you her famous chocolate gateau?" she leaned down, eyes levelling with the child. rosalie's head bobbed in an enthusiastic nod, making brigitte laugh. "for you, mon petit chou." she patted her braided hair. "you spoil her." jangmi remarked. "everyone does, including you. it's her magic." brigitte straightened, glancing at her friend. she began to search for cake ingredients as they moved. as they moved into another aisle, her gaze fell on a man. "who is that tall glass of handsome?"

jangmi followed her gaze and saw a familiar face. she chuckled a bit. "that's kim namjoon." she turned back to the jar of olives she was inspecting. "wait, you know him?" brigitte's eyes went wide. "yeah, he's hoseok and jimin's friend. we aren't that close though." jangmi replied nonchalantly.

"what? why not?" brigitte asked. "he's more on the quiet side? smart and focused and all that. we never knew what to talk about." she shrugged, placing the olives back on the shelf. "he's just my type." brigitte's eyes drifted back to the man who was adjusting his glasses on the bridge of his nose.

"everyone's your type, bri." jangmi laughed. "no, i'm serious. i play around a lot and all but there's just something about smart quiet guys i love." brigitte stated. jangmi shot her a look. "is he invited to rosie's birthday?" she asked. jangmi's shoulders moved up in a shrug. "dunno. i'd assume either hoseok or jimin would invite him. he hasn't even met rosalie yet."

"do you mind if i invite him?" brigitte asked. "nope. i'm cool with it. he's technically one of rosalie's 'uncles' anyway." jangmi answered. "okay," brigitte's voice was full of excitement as she began to walk fast, pulling her along. "introduce us." she muttered.

"kim namjoon?" jangmi called on her less than satisfactory acting skills. brigitte mentally cringed at her too high voice. jangmi had always been the honest type.

the man turned on hearing his name. a small dimpled smile graced his face when he saw her. "jangmi, hi." he said as she stopped in front of him. "hi, it's been a while." she smiled earnestly. "a very long while." he nodded. "and this little fairy must be rosalie." he glanced down with a full smile, bending his tall form to be level with the girl. "yes. rosie say hi to your uncle joon." jangmi grinned. "uncle joonie," the small girl sported a grin similar to her mother's, reaching over to poke his dimples with both hands.

"you're so adorable." he laughed at her action. glancing up at her mother, he asked, "may i?" jangmi nodded her consent and he lifted the girl out of the cart and into his arms.

his eyes fell on the other woman then. "oh, hello." he smiled lightly, speaking in english. "hi," brigitte beamed. "oh, i'm so sorry. namjoon, this is brigitte moreau. brigitte, this is kim namjoon."

"nice to meet you." she chimed. he looked slightly surprised, most probably from how fluent her korean sounded. "nice to meet you too." he nodded at her, the smile not leaving his face.

"she's visiting from france. she's here for rosalie's birthday." jangmi informed. "oh, birthday?" his gaze shifted to rosalie who nodded. "how old are you turning?" he asked. the girl counted on her hand before lifting four fingers up for him to see. "wow! four? you're a big girl already." he chirped and she giggled.

"jimin told me." he turned back to the women as the little girl continued to play with his face. "oh, will you be there?" brigitte asked before jangmi could even open her mouth. the woman glanced at her friend and shook her head slightly.

"uh, yeah. sure." he nodded. "any clues on a present?" he asked, voice lowering. "she likes red." brigitte offered. "literally, if it's red, she's going to fall in love with it." her eyes shifted to the girl in his arms. "she also likes drawing." jangmi chuckled, amusement dancing in her eyes. "ah, okay. thanks." he smiled gratefully.

"well, i have to get going." he said, glancing between both women. carefully, he put rosalie back in her place in the cart. she pouted a bit at not being able to poke his dimples anymore. he smiled, giving her a wink and she giggled.

"ah, yeah." jangmi nodded. "see you at the party." brigitte smiled. "yeah." he nodded and gave rosalie a short wave before turning around and walking away.

jangmi turned to brigitte, a teasing smile tugging at her lips. "this is the first time i've seen you not jump straight in and start flirting with a guy." she noted. "i told you. something about quiet guys gets to me." brigitte answered. "and i have now seen that first hand." she grinned. brigitte began to pull a chuckling jangmi again, face heating up lightly. "can we continue shopping? i have cake ingredients to buy."

☀☀☀

namjoon has officially met our little sunshine rosalie. and not-afraid-to-embrace-her-sensuality brigitte. bet you didn't expect that. sorry, tae.