Somebody To Love

"It's you!' I exclaimed loudly as I watched his eyes widen in surprise and give a small jump at my sudden outbreak. I felt frozen to my bones as my brain tried to makes sense of the picture I saw through my eyes. Or rather, figure out how, of all the people in the world, I ended up in the same room as him.

He opened his mouth to say something.

Thoughts raced through my mind like a gust of strong wind and left in their wake a trail of words dispersed.

Here I was, mentally preparing myself to face a total stranger who could very soon be the person I would marry. I had wondered at my first thoughts of him and that one unwanted and uncomfortable thought stealthily making its appearance from the back of my head-what if he doesn't like me?

Be calm. Be confident. Be quiet.

I had advised but as usual, I almost never listen to myself.

I burst in laughter. Maybe it was the sudden surprise I still couldnt register or just the irony of it all. All I knew is, this, of all the vivid scenes I had expected, was something I couldnt have conjured in my wildest imagination.

He joined me. His all to familiar voice ringing through the room and I stopped as the gravity of the situation brought me back to earth. It definitely was no dream.

Yes, I had painstaking resorted to the option of an arranged marriage, so that I may be introduced to suitors my family may see as fit. Partly because I believed I had not, given my chance of 23 years, met anyone 'marriage' material. Another small part of me hoping that maybe living with a total stranger will be easier given that he has no clue on me nor I of him. I could be who I want to be without any expectations from him formed already.

But as fate would have it, instead of a stranger, its Dhanyal,  my friend from high school sitting right across me. The eyes I have stared into often, crinkled as his laugh faltered seeing my confused expression. "Are you alright, Di?"

Yes, definitely not a stranger. No one I just met would call me with that nickname.

"Dhal!" I smiled as I used my nick name for him.

He visibly relaxed as his face broke in a huge smile. I couldn't help smiling back.

"Do you think they have any idea that we know each other?" He asked pointing towards the open door at the end of the room, where the faint voices of our family drifted.

"I guess not" I said after giving some thought, "So, how have you been? I never heard from you since..."

I shouldn't have brought that up. I looked away from him, blushing at my blunder.

"Not since my girlfriend?" He tried to pass it off casually but I noted the change in his voice. I looked at him curiously and saw the sadness that had turned his cheerful face all gloomy.

"I am sorry..." I started but he interrupted my words.

"No, I am."

"Dheena! Dhanyal!" my little sister ran inside the room. "Come join us for tea!" She grabbed my hand and I got up to follow her. "Come Dhal" I told him before my excited sister almost dragged me out.

He remained seated. His eyes downcast.

We didn't get a chance to talk much after that. Dhal was quiet and none of us told our parents of our acquaintance years back. He left but with a faint smile that my all too inquisitive cousin caught. She grinned at me.

"Your keys!" Mum called out to him. He stopped in his tracks and looked at me instead as my eyes traveled back from the keys to him. A small shell rattled with the keys as my sister passed it to him. I heard my mum say something and Dhal reply. And watched as he disappeared through the front door, my thoughts still on the bright blue shell.

With a heavy heart I walked out to the garden, making sure no one saw me. How could it turn out like this?