2: A touch of testosterone [ash]

"It's Ash," I corrected

"Please excuse her current attitude," my mother explained. "She's been moody the entire ride here."

It was true—I was in a foul mood. I had accepted my parents' divorce much more easily than they had; mostly because I had been expecting it. I had gotten used to the immature and incoherent fights about nothing in particular and if that wasn't a giveaway of their ending relationship, then I didn't know what was. But now that the papers were signed and the divorce was official, my parents had gone from outraged yelling to complete and utter silence.

I didn't appreciate being the messenger between them, especially now that my mother had dragged me half way across town to temporarily move in with her old friend from high school. I also entirely impressed of our new living arrangements; spending time with a couple of single middle-aged women wasn't something I was looking forward to.

But something my mother failed to mention was that it wouldn't just us girls. There was a touch of testosterone to the household and he seemed just as surprised to see me there.

I wasn't a huge fan of first impressions, and one thing I hated was the assumption that I was hot-headed just because of the shade of my hair. My current temper wasn't making it any better.

"Nice to meet you, Ash," Dust said, the corners of his lips twitching into a smile.

"Likewise." My voice came out sharper than I had intended.

"Oh, honey," Mum said, walking over to me and tucking me under her arm. "Brighten up, okay? Things won't be that bad."

I compressed a witty remark by biting my tongue.

"She's a bit upset about moving schools," my mother explained, giving me a squeeze. "She's going to miss her boyfriend too much."

"Mum," I groaned.

Dust's eyebrows rose, eyes slightly widened behind the frames of his glasses. Maura seemed amused. And I was completely and utterly mortified.

"You're quick to judge, Cathy. Don't you remember your high school boyfriend?" Maura teased. "You pulled the biggest tantrum when your own mother forbid you from seeing him."

Mum tipped her head back and laughed, swinging her arm off from me and following Maura into the house. "He had the best car though."

I stayed back as they walked in together, laughing about past memories. Dust lingered by the doorway, watching me with small smile dancing on his lips.

"Need any help?"

"No." I awkwardly half-rolled, half-lifted my suitcase towards the door. "I just have to put this inside. I have a couple more bags in the car."

Once my suitcase was next to my mother's in the foyer, I turned and headed back outside. Although I told Dust I didn't need any assistance, he was at the car, pulling out the last of the bags and placing them on the side of the road before he shut the boot. I picked up my gym bag.