PART SEVENTEEN

Running into your ex-boyfriend was always somewhat uncomfortable but running into your ex-boyfriend when you've been turned into a blood-sucking vampire had to be worse. My initial instinct was to flee. However, I figured that that was just some leftover humane reaction because every other part of my body refused to budge. 

There was an eerie stillness in the night.

Everything around me remained quiet and untouched. We stood on the footpath next to a main road in the inner-west streets of Sydney. This road was usually buzzing with traffic and people, and yet, none of that surrounded us.

It was only Troy and me. Alone. With my back faced toward him, stopped under the dimmed lighting of a broken streetlight. The surrounding streetlights flickered as a cool breeze wrapped around me. It gripped me tight, like a rope that held me firmly in my place. All the while my mind reeled with possibility. I remembered the bloodlust that I had experienced with Oliver, and with that thought, I grimaced and fought against the hunger brewing inside my stomach.

I refused to give in. I wouldn't let that monster take control of me again, and I knew that I couldn't tempt it by turning around to face him. Meanwhile, as I debated my next move, Troy was having his own little discussion.

"Thank the Lord I found you! Everyone thinks you're dead, Helena. God, you scared the hell outta me!" I heard Troy stepping toward me as he spoke, and even though I still wasn't bold enough to turn around, I did notice that his intoxicating scent was growing much stronger. It encased me, tight and gripping, like a sheet of plastic wrap.

I didn't reply.

I hoped that if I remained perfectly still and quiet that he would simply give up and turn the other way.

He didn't.

Instead, his clumsy footing told me that he was still foolishly stepping closer toward me. I knew logically that I should hold my breath and make a run for it, but still, I couldn't move, let alone control my breathing. It started slow and deep but was growing more rapid with every footstep that brought him closer to me.

As I inhaled his alluring scent deep into my lungs, my eyes rolled back into my head and a quick pain tore through my tender gums. I slid my tongue over the sensitive spot, only to notice razor sharp eyeteeth—my fangs. I fought the urge to gasp as my eyes widened. I really needed to get away from Troy before bloodlust peeked its ugly head up and I lost control again. With that horrid thought, I forced my shaking foot to take a step forward, to attempt to leave, despite the way my body twitched in refusal.

"No! Please, don't go!" he begged, stepping closer.

Too close.

"Go away!" I hissed. My back was still faced toward him. "I don't want to see you!" I yelled.