B R O K E N

"Leave, James."

That was what started it all. James's face contorted in rage and he shot up, his relaxed facade completely broken.

"YOU LEFT ME!! YOU WERE A COWARD AND TRAITOR AND YOU LEFT ME FOR HUNTER!!!!"

I flinched at his outburst and used all my willpower to not run and cry. I am not that Jessica anymore. I can't be. I'll break if I am.

Lucas wrapped an arm around me and pulled me closer to him. He's actually protecting me. I thought he would go running for the hills at the first sign of trouble.

Lucas isn't as much as a coward as you are, Jesse.

James was right all along. Even my subconcious knows it. I'm a coward. A worthless coward.

"You were my friend. You were supposed to be happy for me, James," I said, my voice trembling with held back tears. Lucas turned his harsh and cold glare to James, who is trying to compose himself after his rage took over for a second.

"Why didn't you want me, Jess? We were perfect for each other. Even our parents said so. Why...," he trailed off. I bit my lip, still a bit confused.

"I loved you like a brother and I thought you felt the same," I answered truthfully. Since when did James like me? He always teased and annoyed me like a brother would. This came out of nowhere.

"You've done enough damage," Lucas interrupts just as James was about to answer. "Get out."

The smug look on James's face is back and he sizes Lucas up. James isn't nearly as buff, but I know he's wicked fast. He has an advantage. Not a lot, but still.

"Looks like little Jess has a new friend," James says. His lips twist into a cruel grin. "Did you know that Jess cheated on her last one?"

My eyes widen and I instantly turn to Lucas. "No I didn't! They spread the rumour that I did. Please don't believe him!"

I was panicking. I lost Hunter to James. I can't lose Lucas too. He crept his way into me and now, I can't live without him. If he leaves me now, he'll kill me.

But I see no falter in Lucas's eyes as he leans down and kisses my forehead. I almost smirk triumphantly at the shocked look on James's face.

"I'll always choose you, baby," Lucas says. Not too loud but loud enough for James to hear.

"She's a bitch. She'll cheat on you too," James continues. I plead with my eyes. James is trying to sway Lucas to his side. Anger flared in me, demolishing any fear that I had inside.

"You say another bad thing about her and you'll find yourself buried six-feet under," Lucas growls. James has the nerve to chuckle.

He just sealed his fate.

Lucas jerks forward with his fist curled and ready. It hits James square in the jaw, snapping his head backwards and taking him by surprise.

I rush between them to stop Lucas from doing anymore damage to himself. His knuckles are bruising already.

"Let me have him, Jesse," Lucas says, blinded with anger. I smirked at a gaping James.

"Didn't you know, Lucas," I drawled. "This is how you properly punch someone."

James looks at me, eyes wide as saucers, as I let my fist sail through the air. It hits his cheek. He staggers, losing balance. I don't miss a beat as I swing my leg and hit his precious family jewels.

"You ruined me once," I say. "Don't think that I'm just going to take it the second time."

He doubles over, falling to the floor. I hate seeing people in pain. No matter what I say or do, just know that I'm not sadistic.