Chapter Six: Destery's Point Of View

It's been a while, eh guys? Truly sorry about that. We wanted the chapter to be the best it could possibly be, but no matter what we wrote, it came out boring and fillerish. We decided to take a break for a while because writer's block is a pain in the ass. And now we're back, and hopefully better than ever. Hopefully there's no more of this one update every three months bullshit. We're shooting for at least once every couple weeks.

  On another note, this chapter is dedicated to all of you who have stuck around for this story. We know we don't update nearly enough and that's pretty shitty of us, but you guys stick around, and that means a lot to us. Thank you <3

   Remember, comments are highly appreciated. We read every single one of them and they make us happy ^.^

   After the whole crying incident, I made my way to class. Myla and Oli had tried talking to me, tried convincing me to go home, but I ignored them. Nathan had already seen me, going home would just be admitting defeat. I would go to all of my classes and turn myself back into the good student I once was. I was not going to let Nathan Owens further ruin my grades. I’d be damned before I let my grades drop below a C, and if I missed any more school, that would surely happen.

   I pushed through the throng of students crowding the hallway. Some glared at me, others said obscene things to me, most likely mad that I had shoved them, but I couldn’t care less. When I entered the classroom, Nathan was already at our assigned table. I briefly considered asking the teacher if he would switch my spot, but quickly shot the idea down. Barnes would never go for it. Instead, I continued to make my way to the desk in the most confident stride I could muster up.

   I didn’t dare look at Nathan as I slid onto the stool and dropped my bag to the floor. I knew he was looking at me, could feel his boring into my skull. He was probably taking in my appearance: blotchy face, puffy eyes, slightly runny nose. He probably wanted to confirm that I had, in fact, been crying. He didn’t say anything, knew it would be a bad idea to, but it still made me mad. Why was he the one ignoring me? He was the one that was in the wrong, not me. He fucked up, not me. But no matter how angry at him I was, it took all I had in me to not turn around and speak to him. After a brutal five minutes of silence, I thought of saying something to him, but the picture of him and Leda in the hall, holding hands and looking genuinely happy, was all it took to stop that horrible idea.  

   I focused on Mr. Barnes instead. He was doing something on his computer, taking attendance, probably. I stared at him for another moment before he stood up and spoke.

“We’re doing a lab today.” The other students cheered; labs were an easy way to get an A and required little effort. They were also done with your table partner, no exceptions. Normally this would have had me cheering with the rest of them, but considering the circumstances, it had me groaning and wanting to cry all over again.

“It’s pretty easy, but will take all hour. We’re turning pennies silver and brass colored using zinc. Simple enough. Start setting up your burners and gathering beakers while I get the zinc ready.” Barnes continued.

   Nathan opened the cabinet on our table and took out the burner, which must have meant I was on beaker duty. Not a problem. I collected two beakers from the cabinet next to Mr. Barnes’ desk and set one in front of Nathan, keeping one for myself.