Tall Glass of Water

‘’Excuse me, I think I should take this…’’ Ben nodded and held his head in his hands. I felt guilty walking away, but I felt the urge to answer Brendon’s call.

‘’H-hello?’’ I croaked.

‘’Uh, hi…’’ Brendon’s voice seemed tired, ‘’How are you, have you settled in okay and stuff?’’

‘’Uh yeah, thanks. It’s a really nice neighbourhood,’’ I glanced over to Ben who was now playing a game on his phone. I relaxed a little.

‘’That’s great. Listen, Dallon wants to talk to you,’’

‘’Sure,’’

The next voice I heard was Dallon’s.

‘’Hey Moustacha,’’ I chuckled.

‘’Hey tall glass of water,’’ Dallon laughed,

‘’I miss you, Breezy misses you, the kids miss you. Amelie cried when I told her you’d moved away. I sat and cried with her too.’’

‘’I’m so sorry…I had to move away. It wasn’t right for me to be there. And now I have a purpose here…’’

‘’Family?’’

‘’I-uh,’’ I looked at Ben, ‘’Yeah, family’’.

‘’Well, okay. Promise you’ll come visit soon?’’

‘’I promise, I have to go now. Tell everyone I said hello, and please tell Amelie not to cry, I’ll Skype her soon,’’

‘’I will. See you,’’

‘’Bye Dal.’’

I ended the call and walked back over to Ben. He smiled when he saw me. He stood up and offered to walk me back home. I accepted. The sky was growing dark and the temperature was dropping. It was nothing like Nevada.

We walked in a comfortable silence, one of us making the odd comment or cracking a joke. We made it to my door and I started to chuckled awkwardly, Ben joined in.

‘’Look, I’m sorry if I was a little…too forward with telling you about Kiera…’’ Ben shifted his weight over his feet nervously.

‘’Don’t be sorry, Ben. I’m glad you told me. That means you trust me, right?’’

‘’Yeah, I trust you,’’ Ben smiled, ‘’So…does that mean I could get your number now?’’ He grinned cheekily.

‘’Sure,’’ I rolled my eyes and put my number into his phone.

‘’I’ll call you, or text you because I’m lazy. Would you be free tomorrow? We could go see a movie?’’

‘’That’d be real nice, I look forward to it,’’ I smiled wide. Ben nodded and opened his arms with a raised eyebrow, asking permission for a hug. I laughed and hugged him. He smelt really nice and he was so warm, almost like a giant heater from under his leather jacket.

I thanked him again for the coffee, and said goodbye. Locking the door to my apartment, I undressed and went straight to bed. I wasn’t in any mood for anything to eat, I just wanted to sleep. What was intended for a short day had turned into an extremely long one.

I tucked myself up in my covers and rolled over, something cold touched my face. I internally screamed and flicked on the lamp beside my bed. My heart rested when I saw it was just a sheet of paper. It was Brendon’s letter.

I read it over and over again. The same line stuck in my head. I couldn’t help but think that it was stuck in his too. His voice made me miss home, and maybe even a part of me was missing him back. But I couldn’t let that get to me now. I had a fresh start here, I needed to be strong. I needed to stay for Ben, too.

I fell asleep with one thing stuck in my head,

‘I’ve always loved you, Tash, always’.

*a/n so I'm going away for a week! I doubt I'll get the chance to update so I'm sorry, but I'll be right on it when I get back home! Thanks for reading! I hope you guys enjoy this story:)

comment/vote/fan*