Chapter 2

Darkness was all I could see.

My back was wet, but everywhere else was dry. The board I had clung to was still in my hands, but was now smaller and felt as if it was covered in lacy material that made my skin itch.

Hot air danced upon my cheeks. Humidity seemed to  float around me. The sounds of birds chirping resembled the sound of music of some sort.

My eyes fluttered open. The blue sky greeted me as well as the sun’s rays. I turned my head to the side, and was greeted by a rose bush. The roses where a blood red. I touched one with the tip of my finger, feeling the softness of the fragile peddle. I smiled and stood up.

I was in a rose garden.

Each and every rose a blood red color.

I inhaled deeply, expecting to smell the sweet aroma of roses, but smelled the harsh smell of blood.

I frowned and examined the roses closer.

Some were dripping.

Others were dry.

I sat down and started digging underneath a bush. Nothing appeared to be odd about the bush until I saw an arm.

A human arm.

Why would a human arm be under a rose bush!?

The arm twitched.

“Leave,” Whispered a hushed tone. I slowly walked backwards from the arm.

“Run.”

Two arms shot out of the dirt.

“Leave.”

I the bush tilted over

“Get out!”

A body emerged, and I was in a full sprint in the opposite direction.

“Wait!”

I stood in front of a chocolate brown  handless door. I placed both palm on the door, pushing with all of my might.

“ALICE!”

An hand was on my shoulder.

“TURN AROUND!”

I tried to scream as a hand coated in dirt placed on my mouth.

“Alice, there’s no running.”

I kicked the door. It wouldn't budge.  

“Just turn around damn it!”

Sighing I turned around and stood face to face to a blue eyed, blonde. Her hair was braided on one side, and was completely out of place and laminated with dirt. She wore an outfit light blue distressed jeans shorts, pink floral shirt and a brown cardigan.

Just like me.

I leaned in, examining her face and notice the freckles scattered on her nose.

Just.

Like.

Me.  

“Hello Alice,” She said smiling. “You dropped this.” She handed me a white lace feathered fan.  “Keep it. Make sure she doesn’t get it.”

“Who?” I asked. “Whats going on? Who are you-” She pressed her index finger against my lips.

“I have to go.  I’m supposed to be dead,” She giggled.

“Why?” I asked.

“Let’s just say this. Hang on to that fan, and don’t trust anyone. Everyone works for the Queen. And the queen wants us dead,” She answered. She tensed as voices got closer. “Look you got to go. Drink the blue stuff and eat the cake to get through the door. Don’t let them see you!’ She gestured toward the voices getting closer and closer.

I turned in their directions and saw not one but two giant cards. One lugging a body, the other with a needle. I watched as the one holding a needle out the needle inside the body, getting blood, and then squirted the blood upon a white rose.

“Go,” A hushed whispered urged. I turn to face the girl, only to find a floating mirror with my reflection. I cockied my head to the side, puzzled how that got their. My reflection gestures for me to turn around.  I do as suggested and find a small bottle filled with blue liquid and a note  attached to it that reads “drink me”. I do as suggested and watch the world get smaller and smaller.