twenty

I hadn't spoken to Elizabeth nor Luke in about a month. And let me tell you, it was not easy. I had to live with Elizabeth and we were all in the same group. Laurie noticed how we didn't interact anymore but she didn't question it. I think she thought it would blow over like it had last time, she was wrong. I wanted nothing to do with them. The two people who I had thought were my best friends hurt me. What they did was inexcusable, and maybe in time I could forgive them, but I definitely wouldn't forget.

There was only a week and a half left of camp and I was ready to leave. I was tired of having to stay there. Even though I had the rest of our group, Luke and Elizabeth were who I was closest to. Although over the past month, I had grown close to Calum. He was there for me, and thankfully he didn't bring up anything that happened. Sure, he would ask me if I wanted to talk about it but when I would tell him no, he dropped the subject.

I didn't know if Luke and Elizabeth were still seeing each other, and I frankly didn't give a damn. They could be together, it didn't matter to me.

"Caroline?" Calum snapped me out of my thoughts. We were all sitting at the breakfast table, us all engrossed in our own coversations. And yes, the whole group was there. I looked up at him, as he was sitting in front of me.

"Huh?"

"I asked if you wanted to go for a walk?" I stared at him quizzically, I didn't know why he wanted to go for a walk. He had never asked me to before.

"Sure?" I responded, but it came out as more of a question. Calum nodded and stood from the table, me reciprocating his actions.

As we walked past the table, I caught a glimpse of Luke watching us. He hadn't tried talking to me over the past month, I guess he figured it was a lost cause. Elizabeth had tried speaking to me, but I ignored her. I just wasn't ready to speak to either one of them yet.

"I think it's time that we talk about it." Calum said as soon as we were out of the cafeteria. I looked up at him and shook my head. I wasn't ready to talk about it, I didn't really know when I would be ready.

"We need to, Caroline." Calum sighed, "This whole thing is hurting me too."

"How?"

"Luke won't talk to me," Calum told me, "I don't really know why. He just ignores me, I didn't do anything wrong. Maybe it's because I've taken your side in this whole thing, but I'm right about this. He was wrong."

"Calum," I shook my head as we turned off the road that led to the cafeteria and headed toward the road that led to the cabins, "Luke hasn't even tried to apologize to me. Maybe he just needs time like I do." I didn't know why I was defending Luke, the words kind of just came out.

"Neither one of them should need time," Calum rolled his eyes while adjusting the grey beanie on his head, "They are the ones who did wrong, they should be apologizing to you and giving you time."

"It doesn't really matter anymore, Calum." I sighed, "We'll be leaving camp soon and I won't have to worry about any of this anymore."

"What about next summer?" Calum questioned, "You'll bee seeing them then."

"I doubt there'll be a next summer." I really didn't want to come back. This was supposed to be a good summer but it turned out to be my worst one.

"What?" Calum exclaimed, "C'mon, you have to come back next summer. It won't be the same if you don't. I'm already used to you being here."

"I doubt I will," I shook my head, "But, you just graduated and everything, so you can come visit me before summer or something. We can keep in touch somehow."