We All Fall Down

Lilith's Point of View

I couldn't sleep on planes. It was a defect to be honest. No matter how long the flight was, sleep eluded me like the...I don't know. I pondered over it for a moment until it hit me. Sleep eluded me like a shadow at night. I pulled out my notebook and scribbled it down. I closed it and put in in my bag. I looked around the plane, boredom already starting to sink in.

My fingers drummed on the seat rest and I sighed. Nothing. I checked my iPod for battery and was happy to see it had half it's power left. Eagerly I put in my headphones.

 The plane hummed under me, I could feel it. The slightest tremors from outside sent vibrations throughout the entire body. I knew I shouldn't be nervous but I couldn't help it. I shut my eyes in a vain attempt to drift off.

 A gentle hand touched my shoulder what felt like an eternity later. I opened my eyes and saw the stewardess. She gestured to the sign that was now flashing, SEATBELTS ON. I nodded and fastened the buckle around my waist.

She motioned to the people next to me and I started to wake them up. I shook Jose and Bryn awake and pointed at the sign. Bryn nodded, but when I looked at Jose I saw that he was still asleep.

 “Jose, wake up.” I said.

 He grumbled as he woke up.

 “Why?”

 “The seatbelt sign is on. The stewardesses want us to buckle in.”

 He glared at me and I held up my hands defensively. Smiling, I put my music back on.

 We had been flying for about ten more minutes when a massive shudder struck the plane. I held onto the edge of my seat until it steadied and when it did, I put my iPod away. I asked Bryn to open up the window, and immedietely regretted doing so.

   It was like a scene out of the twilight zone. The clouds were dark, and wind tore at the plane. I saw flashes all around and I felt the plane rumble again. I feel that if I'd been looking for them, I would have seen gremlins.

 Then I saw something that scared me. Lightning struck the plane and I saw sparks fly from the metal. The lights in the cabin flickered, and some burst. Looking closer at the sparks, I saw the beginnings of a flame growing in the tatters. The plane was on fire.

“Shit.” I muttered. Fear was beginning to grow, I could feel it in my gut and in my trembling fingers.

 “You cuss.” Jose stated.

 “Yeah.” I said. “But that's not the point.”

 “Then what is?” Bryn asked.

 "Oh I don't know. The plane is on fire, maybe that's it." I snapped sarcastically.

 I pointed at the wing and then the plane began to tilt. It veered to the right at a dangerous angle.

 “What the hell!” Bryn exclaimed.

 “Not the time.” I hissed.

 An annnouncement came on over the intercom.

 “Attention passengers. We are experiencing technical difficulties. If you could please don the life jacket under your seat, then sit back and wait calmly. Your patience is appreciated.”

 I scrambled for the life vest and slung it on. I fastened the straps as quickly as my fingers could manage. All around me, people were doing the same thing. There were many people on this plane, and most of them were from our school.

 As we got our vests on, the plane began to nosedive forward.

“Shittttt!” Bryn yelled.

 “Shut up!” Jose yelled.

 “You shut up!”

 “You! Your feminist attitudes are probably what's crashing the plane!”

 “No, if you have to blame anything, blame your ego!”

 “SHUT UP!” I yelled at them.

 They fell silent only to start screaming again when the plane dipped again, and that was echoed by everyone else on the plane.

 I felt the plane dropping lower and lower at terrifying angles. I just closed my eyes and held my bag tightly like it was a safety net. It felt like an eternity fall into oblivion until we hit the water with a shattering crash.

 The impact jarred the entire cabin and then the plane did something I didn't think it could. It skipped. The momentum carried us forward until we hit the ocean again. And then again. And just when I was bracing for a fourth impact...We hit land.

 The plane's nose landed with a breaking crunch against something. Metal creaked and groaned. I heard a groan from around the cabin and opened my eyes. People were lying in seats, some moaning in pain, others talking in hushed tones, others talking in a loud panic.

 Looking around, I was starting to get worried. Because some of these people...They weren't moving.