Chapter 6: Blueberry Pancakes and Locker 254

I woke up to the obnoxious ringing of my alarm blaring through my earbuds. I pulled them from my ears as I yanked the blankets over my head. I rolled over and peeked out, taking in my surroundings. The room was still dark and from my bed I could see that the sky was starting to lighten from a midnight hue to a soft baby blue. 

I loved this time of day. There was something comforting in feeling like the only one in the world. I glanced towards Brinley's bed to find her still cuddled under her comforter.

I pulled my comforter over my head again, pulling my phone under the blanket to check the time on the screen: 6:06 am. I could sleep in longer, but then I'd get up with five minutes to get ready before the first bell.

I groaned internally before pulling myself to a sitting position. I grabbed my charger and my phone and sat at the end of my bed. I threw my covers over the top half of my bed and tried to tuck them between the rails. Note to self: loft beds are ridiculously difficult to make. I placed the pillows at the top after tucking the sides in as best I could and made my way down the ladder, trying to be as quiet as possible.

After my journey down, I stuffed my charger into the side pocket of my backpack and set the stuffed bag beside my desk. I turned around and flipped my electric tea kettle on before walking over to my dresser. I opened the top drawer, looking through the many pairs of jeans, before pulling out my favorite black pair with the rips up the leg. I walked over to the closet and kneeled down to look for the shirt I knew would match perfectly.

As I dug through the hangers, I came to the realization that I had switched schools and, unfortunately, this one required a uniform. I put the jeans back in their place and turned to the hanger I had hung off the side of my bed. A crisp, white button down was hanging from the metal bar of the bed and a plaid, blue skirt peeked out from underneath. I cringed at the thought of wearing the perky uniform. The black material of the matching blazer hung limply on an adjacent metal bar. I could see the white trims of the jacket and the silver buttons gleam in the dim light. There was a white and silver insignia that was embroidered on the left chest pocket. As if the posh uniform didn't already give the hint that we were pretentious snobs.

"So flashy," I muttered to myself.

"I kinda like it," Brinley leaned over her bar. "Makes you seem prestigious, yeah?"

"Eh, I guess," I said. "Did I wake you?"

"Nah," she continued to make her bed, "I'm an early riser anyways." She climbed down her ladder as I walked over to the hanger and stripped everything off.

"It's just flashy. They stand out too much." She shrugged her shoulders.

"Bet it would suit you though," she shot back. I made a face. "You look like a prestigious girl. Not Sarah prestigious, but still."

"I don't think so," I said, waving the bundle of clothes above my head. I grabbed my toiletry bag and left for the bathroom down the hall.

After entering the bathroom I entered a stall and closed the curtain. I stripped from my t-shirt and slid the white fabric of the shirt and buttoned it up until the second button. Then I slid the pleated fabric over my hips, tucked my button down in and proceeded to hook and zip it up the side. I looked around for my tie while rolling the sleeves up to my elbows before remembering that I left it slung over the hanger.

I grabbed my clothes and walked out of the stall only to find Brinley at the sink. She looked at my reflection and spun to face me.

"Don't lie. You know it looks good," she smiled. "You should probably roll the sleeves back down though." I looked past her at my reflection. I had to admit, it really didn't look too bad. I looked very pristine; a look I hadn't seen in a long time.