Chapter 5: Skyways

Chapter 5: Skyways

            “Oh FUCK!”

We all hit the ground as cannon rounds tore through the bridge, pulverizing what minimal cover we had.

As soon as the Ranger stopped to reload though, I popped up and put a round straight through his visor.

The rest of the red marks were still on the deck below us, but closing in fast.  I moved back over to the windows, sniping the first Steel Ranger in the head right before he reached the door up to the bridge.  The next two got through, but the fourth did not.  This pattern continued as the battle progressed as a seemingly endless stream of Rangers swarmed up from the decks towards the bridge.

Scopes and Qindeo managed to keep the Steel Rangers who did make it through at bay, mostly.  My flanks burned from shrapnel from those damned grenade machine guns.

About fifteen minutes into the battle, my eyepiece began flashing a barrel temperature warning for The Undoer.

“Shit!” I swore, ducking as a missile flew through the window and exploded against the ceiling of the bridge.  I brought up my Hyperion, putting a couple rounds through the visor of a Ranger as they came charging into the bridge.

“Qindeo, Scopes!  We have gotta figure something else out!  This is taking way to fucking long!” I yelled, emptying the Hyperion’s cylinder into two more Steel Rangers.

I dove away from the window as another missile came streaking through it.  I crawled over to the doorway where Scopes was, her AA-12 thudding as she took down yet another Ranger.

“I’ve got a new plan!” I shouted, waving to Qindeo, who was standing behind cover nearby.  He crawled over to us.

“Alright, there should be a turret control around here somewhere.” I said, pointing a hoof at an inactive turret mounted in the roof.  “Find it and activate them, I’ll keep the Rangers busy while you two do that.”

They both nodded and retreated into the room, while I reloaded the Hyperion and fired off another nine rounds at some more Steel Rangers.  I didn’t have to wait long.

Suddenly the turret in the roof activated, spraying the Steel Ranger in the doorway with beams of magical energy.  “Yes!”

I dove back into the room, slamming the door closed.  Scopes looked up from a terminal she was sitting at, presumably the one that had just activated the turrets. “Well, that didn’t go as well as I thought it would.” I said, downing a healing potion for my shrapnel-shredded flank.

I looked around the room.  It appeared to be the fire control for the battle ship, the terminals displaying ammo readouts and targeting displays for the guns. 

“Hey, what’s this?” Qindeo said.

I turned to where he was pointing at a section of wall at the back of the room.  On a portion of it was faded red lettering that read OFC Fire Control Access.  I trotted over to it, Scopes and Qindeo following me.

There were no visible handles on the door, only the thin lines running around it letting me know that it was, in fact, a door.

Both Qindeo and Scopes tried their hoof at opening it, bucking and banging, but neither of them yielded a result.

“Alright, lemme try something.” I said, walking up to it.  I gave it a small push, and it swung right open.

My friends just stared at me, and I shrugged, descending the stairs beyond the now open door. “Are you two coming?” I called back to them, and they quickly caught up.