Respect

"It's been a week, El, do you think you'll be ok to go back next week?" Karen asked gently over breakfast.

El kept her gaze down, as she had for the past week, and shook her head 'no'.

"El, honey, you don't have to see him again, ok? You've been moved from his class, and Mr Williams will ensure your paths won't cross again."

El took a small bite from her Eggo, using it as an excuse not to talk. Sighing, Karen collected up the rest of the plates left by her less than considerate family, who seemed to inhale food and leave just as fast. "I'm sorry El, but you need to go back next week, you can't put it off indefinitely, hiding from it won't make it better." Karen felt more than a little cruel for saying it, especially when she glanced over at the table and met El's glassy eyes, shimmering with tears, her face a picture of hurt. Tough love, Karen, you know it's right, don't give in...

Brrrriiiinnnngggg

"Saved by the bell" Karen mumbled to herself, walking to the door. Opening it she found a smiling Max on the other side, clutching her board as always.

"Hi Mrs W, is El around? I thought we could wander into town, hang around, you know?"

Karen inwardly groaned at being called Mrs W, but deciding today was a day to pick her battles carefully she let it slide, knowing she'd probably regret it later when the name stuck. "Yes, she's just finishing breakfast, go through..." Just as Max was about to head on in, Karen touched her shoulder gently, "actually, Max?" Max stopped with a questioning look on her face. "Look, I think El should go back to school next week, it's not doing her any good moping around here all day, can you try and 'big it up' for her?"

Max cringed inside, big it up? Shaking that off, she nodded with a knowing smile, "not a problem, Mrs W."

Nooooo thought Karen, mentally facepalming.

El perked up tremendously when Max rounded the corner into the kitchen, "watcha, misery guts. Come on, time to go" she said, grabbing El by the elbow and practically dragging her to the door.

"Max..." Max didn't stop dragging her, "Max..." El said a little more firmly, but to no avail. "MAX!" she shouted, finally getting her attention.

"No, you're not staying home all day again" Max stated.

Rolling her eyes, "yeah, that's fine, but can I at least put some flipping shoes on?!"

Max paused and looked down, looking up again she burst out laughing, joined a second later by El.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"Soooo, we're in town, now what?" asked El.

"Dunno, I just wanted to get you out of the house is all" shrugged Max.

"Oh" said El thoughtfully.

"How about I treat my very best friend, El Wheeler, to the biggest ice cream she can eat?" said Max, a sly grin on her face and $20 in her pocket. Looked to her side, she saw El's face light up instantly. Yessss she thought triumphantly.

As they were walking to the ice cream parlour, arms linked, El was knocked off her feet by someone barging past. Looking up, none other than Amber was there, with some jock from school, smirking. "Sorry, not sorry" she said, turning sharply and walking off, her boy toy rolled his eyes and trudged after her.

"Forget that bitch" said Max, pulling El back up and dusting the dirt off her skirt. El gave her a small smile and they continued to the parlour. "Soooooooooo, whadya want? Choose anything you like" Max said generously.