Chapter Twenty-one

Chapter Twenty-One

"Where is he Marston?" Langley demanded when Marston returned to the clearing.

"He's dealt with," Marston replied simply. He had dragged the bastard's body deep into the woods, stripped him of anything valuable and covered him with a bit of mud and leaves. He had no worries that the body would be found—no one ventured out that far and the critters would make short work of the remains.

The boy nodded and leaned the rake against the outside of the barn. "Good."

Marston went to Winston's horse and began checking the beast for any brands but found none. He could sell the horse and fetch a decent bit of money for Rose and Langley.

Langley came closer and frowned. "But Marston, I should warn you that mama..."

"Marston!" Rose's voice exclaimed. He turned to see the woman striding from the cabin looking fit to kill.... When she saw the blood, dirt and leaves covering him she paused. "Where have you been?"

"Hello Rose," Marston replied, feeling uneasy. He wasn't sorry that he had killed Winston but he was nervous that Rose would want him gone once she realized what he'd done. His only hope was that he would realize he'd had no choice. Men like Winston Meade could only be dealt with one way.

"Where have you been?" she asked again, much more quietly. "Langley showed me the doe you killed but he wouldn't breathe a word about why you weren't here. I'm smart enough to know that's Winston Meade's horse."

"It's a nice horse," Marston acknowledged, running a hand over the creature's neck.

"Marston, where is Winston?" Rose questioned cautiously.

Marston went about removing the gaudy saddle and tackle from the horse. "Dealt with," he replied, never glancing her way.

He could feel her blue eyes staring hard at him. "Can we talk inside?" she asked.

Marston nodded. "Just let me see to this horse and I'll be in."

Marston heard her footsteps disappear back into the cabin. He let out a long breath and just hoped that Rose would love him more than she feared him.

***

Rose was sitting at the table sipping on a cup of tea when Marston came in a short time later. She took in the sight of him—a sight that should terrify her.

He was nearly seven feet of solid muscle all wrapped up in dirt and bloodstained clothes. His sharply angled face was rough with a few days worth of stubble and lined with dirt. Golden eyes watched her closely and in them, Rose saw no regret and no remorse even though she was certain he had just killed a man.

"What happened?" she asked, unsure if she truly wanted the answer.

Marston crossed the cabin and sat down on the other side of the table. "He's been dealt with."

"Marston.. did you kill him?" she asked, staring down into her tea to avoid his gaze.

Marston reached across the table to take her hand but Rose jerked away from him. When she glanced at his face it appeared as if someone had just kicked him in the gut. "Are you sacred of me now, Rose?"

Rose shook her head and wrung her hands in her lap. "I'm not afraid of you.. it's just.. you just killed a man."

He pulled his hat from his head and rammed his hand through his hair. "That's right I did."