Prologue

The cloying scent of incense hung heavy in the air as the palanquin moved through Edo. Harada pressed the sleeve of his kimono to his nose in a vain attempt to keep the lingering aroma at bay. He soon gave up, and let his head drop against the seat; his curls crushing against the soft fabric. The palanquin gently rocked back and forth. He felt his eyes beginning to close. Just as he was about to drift off, his fan fell to the floor with a clatter. He quickly retrieved it and tucked it back into his obi. With his dreams of sleep crushed, he contented himself with watching the dust motes float in the air. He managed to catch one, but when he unfurled his fingers it was gone. Harada felt it was rather like a dream thing. If I'm the man, this must be the butterfly. His philosophical musings were soon interrupted by the jarring feeling of the palanquin hitting the ground. He had arrived.

As soon as they saw the lacquered door slide open, the men previously carrying the palanquin fell to the ground. By the time Harada emerged, they were all bowing before him; their heads pressed against the earth.

Harada sighed as he brushed a hand through his curls. Not this again. He stood in silence for a moment before slowly approaching one of the men. He shoved his geta under the man's chin and forced his head up.

"Must I give you another lesson on how to treat your master?"

The young man quickly shook his head. His shoulders were shaking.

Harada immediately knelt down and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"There is no need to bow. Even if I have money, I am of low birth. I don't deserve such respect."

The man said nothing.

"Did I frighten you?"

The man looked back down. The shaking worsened. Harada gently lifted his head; this time with a finger.

"Eisuke, you-"

As soon as he realized, he felt his irritation quickly return. Eisuke wasn't crying. He was laughing.

Harada shoved his head back down.

"Disregard my previous statement. You should keep bowing. In fact, you can stay like that forever. "

He remained seemingly expressionless, but within his kimono sleeves, his fingers curled slightly.  He turned away from Eisuke with a frown.  This fool hasn't changed in centuries. He's as brazen as ever.

Harada quickly crossed the  seimon-tetsubashi and headed towards the Ninomaru garden.  He needed to harvest some plants before tomorrow. Once he reached the garden, he knelt down and began to pluck leaves from the shrubbery and pull reeds from the pond.  He soon became entranced by the koi and the delicate ripples of water that spread across the pond's surface. His previous task forgotten, he lay on the ground and gazed at the fish.  He dipped his fingers in the water and watched the drops fall.  The moon was so bright tonight.  Kaguya-hime must be smiling.  He soon realized that the moon was the only source of light left in all of the palace.  It was almost midnight.  Just a bit longer. I'll stay just a bit longer.  With this thought in mind, he continued to gaze at the water.

After a while, he stood up; gathered the leaves and reeds he left nearby and dusting off his kimono. Before he retired for the night, however, he wanted to see the pond one last time. He crept closer until he could see his body mirrored on the surface of the water.  His reflection had the ears and tail of a kitsune. He threw his head back and laughed. In the light, his eyes were as gold as the harvest moon.